Fired up this app to see if it would be useful when trying to shoot the moon on Sunday and had an odd experience.

Fired up this app to see if it would be useful when trying to shoot the moon on Sunday and had an odd experience.

My "north" and "south" were switched. Literally, when I faced north it would show me as facing south and vice versa. North Pole and South Pole were in the right place as were "east" and "west." Mostly. East was a little more south-by-southeast and west was a little more "west-by-northwest.

Confused, I rebooted the phone thinking the accelerometer was stuck and had the same results. Changed location settings to "use everything you got" which did absolutely nothing. Downloaded another - similar - app (Space Junk) with the exact same readouts.. 

So, now I'm fairly certain it's not my phone. I ask my roommate, who has a Note 5, if she has the app and can she double check. She fires it up and ... the exact same results as I was getting.

WTF?

Did someone change astronomy while I was gone or did I just happen to forget everything I ever learned about the sky?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.stardroid&hl=en

Comments

Nick McIntosh said…
It's working for me on my Nexus 5. North is basically north. The moon lines up properly.
Trouble Sturm said…
Is there a large electromagnetic source near you? A little north-east or southwest of you? (more north/south than east-west). Your compass might be pointing at  that, if the power is great enough, or the distance is near enough. 
What do you see with a physical compass? If you walk a block away with the app running, do the directions drift, or suddenly flip? If it is electromagnetic interference, taking a walk with your phone may help you find the cause...
Jason ON said…
Trouble Sturm​, you know, I was just out walking the dogs and I totally forgot to check.
Trouble Sturm said…
You'll have other opportunities, I'm sure. ; )
Jason ON said…
Just tried it again. On the opposite side of town with very good internet connection. Still showing north and south and vice versa.
Trouble Sturm said…
Do you have a compass app on your phone? If so, what does it show?
Jason ON said…
Just tried it with a compass app from about a mile away. Still shows the wrong directions.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.