So, the FedEx guy just came to the door.

So, the FedEx guy just came to the door. After I answered he politely informed me, "I have a heavy box that needs a signature. I just wanted to make sure someone was home before I carried it all the way over here."

Fair enough. I smile and say, "Well, someone is home."

He hands me the digital signature thing and tells me to sign it and he'll go get the package. I push it back into his hands and tell him I'll sign it after he delivers it to the door, not so he can get in his truck and drive on without bringing it back.

"Really?" he asks. "Whatever happened to trust?"

He takes the digital signature thingy from me and heads back to the truck where he brings the box and has me sign.

Trust? I don't know him and he's not even the normal delivery guy. Heck, as dark as it is (the porch light is out) I couldn't even be sure he was FedEx and not just similarly attired. He definitely wasn't UPS (he stayed and waited for me to answer the door) or DHL, Airborne Express or any others.

Comments

David Crosby said…
I don't know...FedEx truck and uniform? I would have given him the benefit of the doubt.......
Jason ON said…
I didn't see his truck, as as you can read, as dark as it was, it could have been a look-a-like uniform.
David Crosby said…
Ah yes. Missed that. Good call on your part. This time of year, could have been a contractor or....imposter.
Gran Dan said…
He was not in a position to ask a customer about trust, he had to make a trip back to the truck to deliver the package anyway, he didn't have to do any extra work, should have kept quiet if you ask me. Probably seasonal part time help.
Chris Moore said…
Why didn't you just hold his digital signature thingy and wait until he brought the package back?

I mean, your reaction was right - you shouldn't sign for something until it's actually been delivered. What if they've made a mistake? And he shouldn't have asked either because that then puts you in a mildly uncomfortable position. Still think your concern (that he might just drive off) is a bit of an unlikely scenario, but hey.
Jason ON said…
I agree it's an unlikely scenario, but again, once he gets that signature he's allowed to claim that he made the delivery whether or not he made the delivery.

Now, just to add another detail to the plot, the package was a case of wine. A case of wine is something a lot of people might decide to "walk off with" if they knew they could get away with it.
David Crosby said…
A case of wine is heavy....but not THAT heavy!
John Sperry said…
Yeah, I never sign first. Especially sight unseen! A lot of damage can happen in shipping to a heavy box...  and just from the truck to the house too!
Jason Bayton said…
For Jason ON a case of wine will fill a car boot.

This feels like déjà vu, given someone gave me the "you sign, I'll get the package" bit. I too refused until I actually saw it in front of me. A dirty look or two later when he gave it to me I gave him a "thanks for doing your job" as I signed.

Bloody delivery people.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.