The Denver Library

I had to make  library run today to return a few items and pick up a few that were being held "On Hold" for me. I currently had 11 items out: 10 DVDs (or the maximum allowed out at once) and one music CD I mistakenly ordered On Hold. Unfortunately, over the week I barely had time to watch all the DVDs and took most of them back unwatched, intending to re-check the ones I didn't get a chance to see. 

When I arrived I placed the returning items in the RETURNS drop box and went to the HOLDs shelf to get the new items waiting for me. I then took the remaining un-returned items and new hold shelf items to the checkout stand and explained I'd like to re-check batch one and check out for the first time, this other batch. For the most part it was fairly straight forward.

Until ... The lady behind the counter told me I had a $5 fine. 

Um, what? What was so late that I incurred a fine much less a $5 one?

She then goes on to explain how, sometime a few months ago, I returned an item without the RFID tracking chip. I asked her what it was and she told me Denver Library doesn't keep records of checkouts. She then said "Woodsbury."

What the F was "Woodsbury?" But she went on to explain that an RFID was a microchip, something I already knew. She then demonstrated by choosing at random one of the DVDs I had on the counter, pulled the see-through plastic cover back and inside the marketing sleeve was a sticker: the RFID tag.

"So, what you're saying is I'm being fine $5 because you're sticker fell off? A sticker I can't even see unless I'm looking for it? Can you tell me if it was a DVD or a book or something?"

She couldn't.

And then I remembered a weird incident, possibly a year old, or more. A book I had checked from the library had a sticker resembling a RFID tag in the middle of the book, but it wasn't stuck to the book, it was in the pages of the book like a bookmark. I figured it was from the publisher for tracking shipments or pallets or something and by random chance ended up in the book I checked from the library.

"So, you're telling me I'm being fined because a sticker you put on whatever item fell off?"

She backpedaled then and told me she didn't put the stickers there and I had to explain the difference between 'you' and the plural 'you' to denote the Denver Library system and not her specifically.

She waved the fine for me since I'm such a good library customer (I always pay any fines  accrue) and sent me on my way.

But now I was annoyed: not only do I as the patron have to check the media before checking out to make sure the discs are there (since the library's policy isn't to check discs being returned or put on the shelves) but now I have to worry about a sticker not being attached? A sticker I can't even see in most situations?

(Oh yeah, the Denver Library forbade their employees from checking CD and DVD cases for discs. Apparently it was hurting their hands and the employees fought not to have to repeatedly open and close cases. However, if I don't visually inspect the disc before checking out, I'm responsible for the replacement cost, even if I haven't left the building yet.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.