Blocked By a Guy Named Lenny

So, Lenny shared a post yesterday or the day before to a limited Circle view. He's since blocked me so I can't take a screenshot or anything but it went a little something like this (I still have it up on mobile so I can transcribe it here, punctuation and spelling as it appears in the G+ post):

Lenny:"Puerto Rico becming the next state? should consider addding three states. Since 53 is a prime number we would be "one nation, indivisible."
Me:"51 is a prime number as well."
Lenny:"yes I know but the joke was 53"
Me:"But Puerto Rico would be the *51st* state, not the 53rd and 51 is a prime number."
Lenny:"read the joke and stop being an ass"
Me: "I'm not being an ass. You're joke doesn't make sense. Puerto Rico would be the 51st state and '51' is a prime number. There is no reason for '53' to be in your joke at all, therefore your joke not only doesn't add up, but it's also stupid."
And then I saw a G+ notification with a small bit of his next post saying something along the lines of he's tired of me something or another and he blocked me. I love being blocked after the other person gets the last word in, it makes them seem so mature.

I will admit, my calling his joke stupid was a direct response to him calling me as ass, but it doesn't matter now since he got the last word in and prevented me from having a say. He's a stand up guy.

I nearly unfollowed him a number of times for being a Tea Party/Libertarian type who posts a number of items throughout the day that have no factual basis, but I didn't. I think everyone should be entitled to their opinions, even when I disagree with them. Besides, if we only surround ourselves with like-minded people our breadth of knowledge and understanding would never increase.

I'm noticing a lot of this on Google+ lately: people not wanting to have a discussion, they want to say their piece and then have validation of their opinion/story/photo/etc. I've been blocked by a few girls for nothing more than disagreeing with them, I even had their "white knights" jumping all over me because I wouldn't sympathize or empathize without more facts. And I'll gladly admit, I'm not a sympathizer or empathizer, I am an understander. Give me something to understand and we'll be on the same page, but if you make some blanket statement and expect people to fawn over you without allowing them to disagree or ask for clarification then you really shouldn't be on social media, especially not Google+. You should be on Facebook with your friends or on your blog with your followers.

Why post to an open social network when you have no intention of having a discussion of the topic and yes, sometimes discussions mean other people aren't going to agree with you? It just doesn't make sense.


EDIT: Apparently 51 isn't a prime number and I was wrong in that regard. However, Lenny didn't argue 51 wasn't a prime number, he argued his joke was funny and that I was trolling him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.