History is filled with bits and pieces we never learn about in school and the massacre at Rosewood, Florida is just...

History is filled with bits and pieces we never learn about in school and the massacre at Rosewood, Florida is just another example.Reading this reminded me of the two very clear comparisons: one, the burning and looting of a prosperous black community in Oklahoma (http://www.ebony.com/black-history/the-destruction-of-black-wall-street-405#axzz533IeNLUm) and an ancedote from when I was a kid. A friend of mine did something stupid - really stupid. I was there and was party to the whole affair. In the end the police were called and my friend, upon giving his statement, blamed the whole thing on mythical black kids. There were no black kids. He made them up. Nameless, faceless black kids who came, did all the bad things and then ran off before we could stop them. When he started speaking I was caught off guard, having no idea what he was talking about.

Blaming the "blacks" is still very real in the south, especially Florida. I really wish we'd grow out of it, but for many it's a way to absolve themselves of any responsibility.
http://www.todayifoundout.com/index.php/2013/08/the-rosewood-massacre-of-1923/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.