Many many moons ago I read the first book in the self-titles series, Dune.

Many many moons ago I read the first book in the self-titles series, Dune. Frank Herbert's novel has a lot of themes and ideas that have stuck with me ever since. The thing is, by the time I read Dune I'd already seen the 1984 film and after reading the book (in the early 90s) I re-watched the movie and knew why it wasn't that good of a film: Dune is so much more.

You see, like many books, there are integral pieces to the story that just don't translate well to a visual format. Some times you can pull it off (Game of Thrones) and sometimes you can't (see just about all adaptations of Stephen King novels-to-film). It looks like Hollywood is going to try and resurrect a fan-favorite once more. And yet, regardless of past outings, Hollywood is going to reboot recapture the magic of Dune for a modern audience.

The question is, can Villeneuve pull it off or will he go down in flames?

https://aux.avclub.com/dune-can-t-capture-the-novel-s-incalculable-brilliance-1798245676

And everyone who appreciates cinematic sci-fi should watch Jodorowski's Dune: https://film.avclub.com/jodorowsky-s-dune-looks-back-on-the-greatest-sci-fi-fil-1798179927


https://www.avclub.com/shots-fired-denis-villeneuve-says-his-dune-will-be-st-1822251306

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.