The last bit is what I want to talk about regarding this video.

The last bit is what I want to talk about regarding this video. Whether or not you believe a religion or a religious idea should be endorsed by a public entity, I want to talk about what the mural creator states at the end, here. He says the majority will of the people should be paramount and those of the minority should succumb to such a will.

Do you agree?

That is my question. Does the majority have right over the minority? Does a popular idea automatically deem an idea worthier than an unpopular idea? Would you agree with this sentiment if you were not in the majority? 

I firmly believe our founders created a republic as a direct result of the threat of mob rule which is exactly what you get when you believe as this guy does. Popular ideas are not put forth to the people to vote on, but rather we elect representatives who (should) decide the best course of action whether or not that idea is sound.
http://video.pbs.org/video/2365004455/

Comments

Jeff Chapman said…
Sure, lets get all the minorities in the back of the bus and keep them out of colleges since its just about the will of the majority.......
Or we could just do what is right instead of succumbing to the tyranny of the majority or the minority.... we are not, i hope, a mob....
Marty Nozz said…
Democracy: Me and my buddy want Jason's X-Box.  There's 2 or us.  1 of him.  We get the X-Box.

Representative Republic with individual rights enshrined first: Me and my buddy want Jason's X-Box.  Jason has a right to his property and there's laws protecting his right.  We keep our hands off his X-Box.

The majority will of the people should be considered, but it should never automatically be considered the most important thing.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.