Canon City, CO and Thereabouts

A few months ago I went to Canon City, CO to go camping in the area with a friend. Naturally, I grabbed my dSLR and brought it along, but unfortunately there were more days of bad light than good light. What's "bad light" you might ask? Well, Timmy, "bad light" is flat and boring. 

Fortunately, though, I was able to grab a couple of decent images, even more fortunate are the others I was able to save with some creative editing.

Click Collage to go to Album
My friend had plans our first day in the area and I was left to my own devices. I took the truck and the dogs up into them thar hills and lucked across this old GMC sitting in someone's front yard. I pulled over and snapped a couple of shots quickly before jumping back into the Explorer and moving on. 

One our way back to the campsite from the city my friend suggested taking this very short very scenic route along some sort of ridge. The top might have been three car lanes wide, leaving only one lane's width for people to actually travel upon: Youtube video (NOT MINE)

I love geology and even thought about studying it in college, so when I see these sorts of layers in the rock I become a little excited. 

Also up there are the underside of some donosaur footprints. You don't see the impression in the the rock, what you see are the underside which looks like a bunch of rock-bubbles clinging on. It's very surreal, especially at this height, reminding us that this wasn't always a ridge and some animals traversed here regularly.
While at the top, I pointed the camera back out towards the valley and snapped a surprisingly good image of the road winding it's way westward.

The day we left was the worst day, by far, weather-wise. It had rained all night and off and on throughout the day. We wanted to see the world famous Royal Gorge suspension bridge before leaving but as luck would have it, the earlier Colorado wildfires ravaged the area and the bridge was closed to visitors. Instead, we hiked up a small trail where we could see the bridge from afar.


Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.