Does your Android need new input?

Does your Android need new input? Mine doesn't, but I have a G2 (loving the physical keyboard). Some of you don't have a physical keyboard. So, here you go.

Originally shared by Thomas Kang

If you're an Android user, you may want to check this out. Just for today, Amazon App Store has SwiftKey X for free:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D9MUWY?ie=UTF8&ref=mas_faad

It's normally $1.99 on Android Market.

The prediction on this keyboard is surprisingly good. I just wrote an email with it where I didn't even have to type a single letter of some of the words, because it correctly predicted what the likely next word was. The trick is that it learns your writing style from your SMS, Facebook, Gmail, or Twitter accounts. Keep in mind that you do have to give it permission to access your accounts in order for the training to work, so be sure to read the privacy policy and see if you're comfortable with that:

http://www.swiftkey.net/privacy
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005D9MUWY?ie=UTF8&ref=mas_faad

Comments

Kim Schulz said…
The Swiftkey X is brilliant. Love that it analyzes your sms', mail and Facebook messages in order to be able to predict your writing style and the next word you would want to write.
Saves me tons of "clicks" on the screen when writing.
Ted Menendez said…
Thanks, was just getting frustrated with swype when you posted this. Got it and trying it now.
Alex Chiba said…
awesome, thanks for the heads-up.
Melissa Gray said…
I use 8pen and love it. The concept took some getting used to but it is almost intuitive. It is free.
Jason ON said…
Thanks for the tip, Melissa Gray-White. Ted Menendez, maybe you can give both a try.
Melissa Gray said…
No problem - there is definitely a learning curve but well worth the effort. www.8pen.com.
Erika Williams said…
Swype keeps remembering words I don't want it to, would be excellent if I knew how to reset it to default again.
Ted Menendez said…
I've been using swype for a long time now. The latest updates have made it a real PITA. I'm really liking SwiftKey so far and 8pen may be good, just not sure I'm ready to put the effort into it. It's definitely innovative!
Mike Noftzger said…
Downloaded mine today. It's a great keyboard application.
Melina M said…
Erika Williams If you go into Settings > Applications > Manage Applications you can find Swype and hit Clear Data. That will remove any words you've added to it (whether by mistake or intentionally) and give you a clean start. I also discovered yesterday a way to add words to the stock Android dictionary so you don't have to re-enter them every time you reinstall or wipe Swype, if anybody is interested.
Erika Williams said…
Aww Melina, you're awesome! I have so many stinking words swype was remembering that weren't words, just typos, you rock my socks off! Thanks!!!
Melina M said…
Erika Williams No problem :) I find that a lot of my new-to-Android friends take a while to get comfortable with Swype and they usually start by tapping words out like on a regular keyboard, so I've developed a bunch of tips and tricks to help them out.

Actually, I guess that goes for Android stuff in general, heh. Sigh, I'm such a nerd.
Melina M said…
To anybody frustrated with Swype, I just publicly posted my tips to fix it. It should be at the top of my stream for a while. :)
Chris Darrow said…
I picked up the Swiftkey X. I had Swiftkey as well. I mostly use Flex T9.
Melina M said…
I quite like Flex T9 but haven't figured out how to remove words from the system! Any tips on that?
Chris Darrow said…
Not off the top of my head I will have to look.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.