I went to Stone when it was a Jr.

I went to Stone when it was a Jr. High in the late 80s. I remember kids taken out of school because their parents still thought of it as a 'black' school. They were either home schooled or driven to a different Jr. High until high school.

It was Stone Jr. High where we had teachers being assaulted by students, the occasional drive by and students bringing guns to school. This was, of course, before Columbine.

But, until now I had no idea Stone was ever an all-black school. Sure it was in a traditionally black neighborhood but I had no idea of it's history.
http://www.floridatoday.com/story/news/2017/07/08/last-segregated-class-melbournes-stone-high-celebrate-5/462080001/

Comments

John Bump said…
...I was born in 1967. I had no idea there were still completely segregated schools that late.
Jason ON said…
Welcome to the south, John Bump​.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.