I was thinking about something earlier today for the hundredth time.

I was thinking about something earlier today for the hundredth time. Our #TrumpNation distraction isn't just about what the media is covering but what social media algorithms are deciding we should see. Google+​ picks and chooses what it thinks we should see, as does Twitter and Facebook.

Click on one story about #DJT and Russia and suddenly that's all those services are deciding you want to see.

This goes for any subject matter. A photographer I follow posts images all day long but I'm only shown the ones with keywords or hashtags I've plussed in the past.

This algorithmic behavior goes both ways, too. Don't interact with a person or a content and suddenly you're not being shown that person's posts or specific content anymore.

Most people, I believe, are ambivalent to this behavior by the social media services but they shouldn't be as such actions create de facto walled information gardens. Those walled gardens have never proven to be good for people or society.


via Aleks Fatuesi​
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/opinions/everything-is-a-distraction-from-something-much-much-worse/2017/07/13/a42384e0-6809-11e7-a1d7-9a32c91c6f40_story.html

Comments

Rather than simply saying

"+Google+​ picks and chooses what it thinks we should see, as does Twitter and Facebook."

it may be more accurate to say (as you do in later paragraphs)

+Google+​ picks and chooses what it thinks we should see, as does Twitter and Facebook, partially based upon our slightest expressions of interest."

I included the "partially" caveat because I have a sneaking suspicion that Facebook's algorithms (and possibly the others) aren't merely based upon our individual activities. I suspect that some of the "top stories" that Facebook presents are based upon nationality.
Jason ON said…
You might be right, but I hate typing on mobile.
Michael Meyer said…
for 8 days now all I see on every TV station is about the Email that is supposed to be the collusion between Trumps son-inlaw and Russia. What they could do is post the email and let us read it for ourselves and decide.
All his is to distract from the Health care bill? which has some good things in it . We have Huge Opiod addiction problem exploding in our country, NOW. and the new bill has 45 billion earmaked to help provide treatment and curb this issue. the ACA (Obama care) does not cover addictions.
Dave Maez said…
This is one of the reasons I don't use the default following stream. Instead I put everyone into a single circle on G+, and follow the circle stream, which gets updated on a standard timeline, and not via some algorithm that I have no control over.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.