The Cloud

The Cloud

People talk about the "cloud" as though personal computing is gone. Google is in the cloud, as is Dropbox, Facebook and Amazon. Microsoft is migrating to more cloud offerings, Adobe already has and there are countless SaaS options out there for enterprise. The Cloud is the thing.

But the cloud requires a strong stable internet connection to be functional. Want to watch Netflix but your ISP is slow? Too bad. Want to work in your Office360 but Comcast has an outage? Too friggin bad. Want to listen to your cloud-based music service or edit a photo using Lightroon or PicMonkey but your connection is bogged down by your neighbors sucking up bandwidth? Big problemo.

Until the technology backbone is more stable while offering better speeds, the cloud isn't something I'm willing to work in 100%. Or even 50%.

I tried to using Google Docs as a primary office suite, but found myself in limited bandwidth locations more often than not. Even at home the service as spotty. Just now I tried streaming Google Music but finally had to turn it off and go local because Comcast isn't very good. 

If I "cut the cable" or adjust my life for the "internet of things" I wouldn't be able to perform at levels I deem, not only adequate, but necessary. 

And so, I keep it local. I use a photo editor locally instead of Adobe's cloud. I have Libreoffice and just backup using Docs. My computer is filled with hundreds of gigabytes of music and photos. And in my truck, I still have an atlas. Hell, I still carry two maps on my motorcycle.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4258648661

Comments

I'm about a fifty precenter on the cloud for personal use. For work everything is internet based. I have a Comcast business connection. Yes it slows down from time to time, sometimes as low as 2 or 3 Mbps. I've only had two outages from wind storms. But mostly it's not been bad.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.