I know this is a little old and, to honest, I'm not sure if it's been shared here before, but I just ran across this...

I know this is a little old and, to honest, I'm not sure if it's been shared here before, but I just ran across this on Twitter and thought I'd share.

As an introvert I can identify with a lot of what they're talking about here. I recall my mom not understanding why I'd rather read than go play with a group of kids or why I was perfectly fine doing things by myself rather than in a group setting. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a recluse by any stretch of the imagination and prefer to do things with a friend or two, I just didn't need to be surrounded by people every waking moment of my life.

I still don't.

However, I do great in crowds. I know it's not very I of me to admit, but I do. It's when I get home, or away from the crowd, when the weariness sets in. Send me to a conference or an industry event and I'm fine. I can work a room like no other. But then I need my space for a while.

The world isn't designed for introverts. It's always the loud kid who's the popular one. It's always the person who loves talking about their self that gets the job or promotion. It's the attention seeking whore who is the life of the party.

When we tell kids at an early age they need to be more like their more popular peers it creates a sort of cognitive dissonance within their minds. They strive to be who they're not, resulting in millions of children, young adults and even adults who are uncomfortable in their own skin all because the world is designed for E.
http://ideas.ted.com/how-to-teach-a-young-introvert/

Comments

Hybrid Spektar said…
I agree with this. As a senior in high school, I know what is like to be the anomally in the classroom. For As long as I can remember, Ive never fit in at school. I was always that one kid whos was picked on because I was quiet and different. And I never understood why I was always hated. I knew I was always different, but I didn't know how. Unil I discovered that I was an Introvert, I finally understood why I never and still don't fit in with other people at school. As an INTP, my thoughts are never understood or regarded as relevant with other people. Even though its an insult to my intelligence. I indirectly insult their own ignorance for not listening to my thoughts. I spent almost all of my years in school with little to no friends. I can relate to this every way possible.
Kitten Blues said…
The article is the true. Even worse if a certain child is more mature than the rest of the class. I was like that and everybody around just seemed to be an idiot. To make it funnier, they picked on me because I behaved like an ''adult''. I still feel as if I had no place anywhere, but by now I don't care.  :)
Waddia S. said…
Yukiko Shiawase Exactly my story. Though by no intention, I managed to get attention of my teachers and professors - despite I became overly isolated from other teenagers.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.