Where I grew up we didn't have "rich neighborhoods" or "poor neighborhoods.

Where I grew up we didn't have "rich neighborhoods" or "poor neighborhoods." We had middle-class and lower middle class. And lower than those.

However, where I live now I'm surrounded by million dollar homes. Literally, they're across the street. The kids from my neighborhood go over there and trick-or-treat instead of up and down our street. To the best of my knowledge, no one has complained about that at all.

My friend's parents live in an upper-middle class neighborhood a few miles away. They have big homes, decent sized yards and the place is so safe no one ever locks their doors. Her stepdad goes out of his way to make sure he has the best candy (re: full sized bars) and welcomes everyone who comes to his door. Even me.

This lady is the worst kind of elite-percenter. It's called "trick or treat." Someone needs to trick her.

Originally shared by frank s

What is wrong with people?

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2014/10/dear_prudence_on_halloween_poor_kids_come_to_trick_or_treat_in_my_neighborhood.html

Her reply is perfect.  Making children happy is a privilege and for my extra $10 of costco candy, I make sure they are.

I love launching huge handfuls of candy into kid's bags at halloween.  I definitely toy with the kids who have costumes that I either don't recognize or who clearly didn't put any effort in, and I applaud and reward the kids that do.

It's fun.  Being selfish and self centered isn't.
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/dear_prudence/2014/10/dear_prudence_on_halloween_poor_kids_come_to_trick_or_treat_in_my_neighborhood.html

Comments

What kind of cheese would go well with her whine?
Jason ON said…
Something stinky, I'm sure.
Pearl Beverlin said…
Haha! Prudie nailed it...she's a cheapskate!
Steve Johnson said…
I think i know what this lady is referring to, she's seems too modest to describe it accurately. I once owned a home in a middle-middle class neighborhood, in a newly built tract, and we all bought the bigger candy bars because we all knew each other and wanted to be generous with each other. But over the next couple years, the other neighborhoods found out about it, and drove their kids, as well as their cousins, nephews and nieces and grandchildren to our tract, to hog everything up. They apparently told their relatives about our neighborhood, and it was clear their intent was not to partake in a holiday tradition, but to take advantage of generosity. That is, they were just freeloaders.

I think what makes this woman sound bad is that she references doctors and lawyers, and I'm sure the editors of Slate love to leverage that stuff for page views.
Bryce Miller said…
Maybe she should work a soup kitchen or something for a few days.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.