This was good, AT&T and Starbucks Coffee.

This was good, AT&T and Starbucks Coffee. My normal go-to place for using wifi and getting away was closed so I decided to come the block up here and this is what I get. 

This is why we all want Google Fiber. Your speeds are embarrassing at&t. Almost as bad as CenturyLink. 

Starbucks, as a place where people buy your over-priced coffees and snacks for the wifi, this is atrocious. These speeds are a prime example on why I don't use Starbucks for wifi when I'm on the go.

For the sake of due diligence, I changed the test server to a closer one and tested even slower speeds: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3829527759

I guess there's no point in me being here.
http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3829507771

Comments

Chris Kim A said…
When my phone data rate is faster than the free wifi, I just turn off the wifi. Which sucks since I don't have a tethering plan for my phone data. But I do get unlimited data, according to the plan.

Actually, it really is pretty limited, speed wise, after you've passed the 3.5GB threshold. They shouldn't be allowed to call that "unlimited" when, in fact, there is a finite amount of data beyond 3.5GB that is possible to use at that slower-than-dialup speed before the end of the billing cycle. Of course, your phone would likely overheat and melt or explode before then.
I was in a Starbucks in Moreno Valley, California a week ago, and the service provider was not AT&T, but Google. It obviously wasn't fiber, however.
"The study also explores Starbucks Wi-Fi performance, and finds that the Wi-Fi powered by Google at the coffee giant's locations tends to outperform locations powered by AT&T. Open Signal also found that McDonalds' Wi-Fi tends to out-perform Wi-Fi at Panera Bread by a fairly wide margin."

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Study-GooglePowered-Starbucks-WiFi-Faster-Than-ATT-129992
Jason ON said…
Yeah, it's a sad state of affairs when cellular internet is moving faster than "wired" networks.
Luigi Buscemi said…
so youve decided to steal wifi.. (homer simpson)
Alvin Chin said…
Use Starbucks store locator and search on "Free Wi-Fi from Google".  SF Bay area has 50% of stores on it. YMMV.
Jason ON said…
Alvin Chin, thanks for the advice, but I'm no fan of Starbucks anyway, so it's not really an issue. I was just trying to use this experience as an example on why people want something like Google Fiber, especially when their local carriers are giving out (very) substandard quality.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.