Sometimes you try and do a good thing and it bites you in the ass.

Comments

Jason ON said…
This is the first time something like this has happened to me. As far as I'm concerned, it's akin to giving someone CPR and having them send the police at you for assault.
Jack Carlson said…
Sadly, Jason ON, some states have had to enact "Good Samaritan" laws to protect people who try to save a life from being sued by the victim's family if their efforts fail.
Jason ON said…
Welcome to the USA.
Lovely. Add creeping nanny-statism and things will get even more complicated.  It'll be safer to not do anything about anything.  Until they ask why nothing was done when it could have been...
Jason ON said…
I was talking to a friend about that, Lee Grupsmith-Pedersen. What happens later when "nothing" happens and people ask why? Why? Because we're repeatedly told not to get involved when a simple word could have changed fate.
Cassius Wright said…
Wtf. At least you tried dude.

If jr. shoots them both and sets the house on fire because of his toxic upbringing you're morally, ethically, and legally off the hook, plus, you were just being a nice guy.
Jason ON said…
That's what tell myself, Cassius Wright. The nice guy thing. Like I said, I thought I was doing the right thing.
Gem F said…
Actually I thought it was quite inappropriate, though if they were going to call the cops about you it should have been when it happened, not now. Maybe they called the cops about someone else.
Jason ON said…
Really, Gabi Fielden? I just spoke with a woman about the situation and she said, "All you were trying to do was help? How could they be mad at that?"

But, like anything, whether or not to become involved is debatable. I choose to get involved. Why? Because sometimes no one else has the courage to step up and do the right thing.
Gem F said…
Except the school can't do anything more than you can, and maybe less, which is why I think going there to confirm their suspicions about the source of their student's poor behavior is the wrong way to help.
Calling social services yourself to say you have concerns makes more sense. Introducing yourself and spending more time outside to interact with the family might also be a better choice, if you want to get actually involved.
I'm not saying you were wrong to speak up, just that you spoke to the wrong people.
Jason ON said…
I don't want anything to do with the family, so that's not an option.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.