Just a Walk

Took the dogs to the park this morning only to realize I forgot the off-leash pass. Oops. So, I broke the rules and used the park anyway, watching for rangers or anyone else who might be checking passes.

As it turns out, no rangers were present.

Since I didn't have my pass we didn't stay in the off-leash area long but instead exited and walked in on-leash areas. Luckily for us I had the longer leashes with me, grabbed mby mistake instead of the shorter dog park designated leashes.

The dogs were excited. Everything smelled new and fresh lacking the aromas of hundreds of other dogs who pass through the off-leash area on a daily basis. Now they had the scents of wildlife, untouched (or rather, unpeed on) flora and trails that rarely see the footprint of Man much less dog.

We walked the long way and eventually found ourselves on trails none of us had ever traveled before today. For the dogs it was exciting and new, for me it was a reminder to step off the beaten path and explore life.

We're not meant to be stationary creatures. Our bodies developed to move, to explore, to boldly go where no great ape has gone before. A tradition we've lost in our sedentary modern lifestyle.

It was towards the end of the walk when I came around a bend and found nothing but mud. Everywhere, mud. For the most part I was able to move around it, leaving the trail for untouched drier land however there came a point where there was no drier land. I tried to find the least muddy path but my sandals, soles smoothed from years and hundreds of miles of use, slipped and I nearly fell. Only by reaching out and steadying myself on Rufus did I escape a full body mud bath.

My Keen sandals weren't so lucky. The last half mile, or so, was spent with muddy feet squishing uncomfortably with each step.

However, I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

I felt like a kid again, coming home from exploring the wooded areas near my Florida home.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.