For those of you who actually read my rantings, you know Maps is my most hated Google service.

For those of you who actually read my rantings, you know Maps is my most hated Google service. It seems like every iteration of maps makes using it much more difficult, especially for consumers. Chances are, if I was a web developer, the new Maps would be fine, but I'm not. I'm just a person who wants to explore scenic driving directions, alternate routes and sites of interest. None of which Google makes easy.

I'm sort of reminded of Microsoft Office. Microsoft has added and prioritized so many features in their Office Suite 98% of us don't use on a regular (or ever) basis, thus making it clunky and convoluted.

Which is why most of us have left office for simpler options. You know, like Drive.

And yet with Maps, Google has gone the other direction. Searching for an address is a piece of cake. Searching nearby? Sure, whatever. Want to plan a trip with primary and alternate routes? I'd rather take a sledgehammer to my computer than use Maps.

Even when using Maps to tag a post with a location, Foursquare is much easier to use. Which is ironic since Google bought Foursquare's original incarnation.

Anywho, here's another story of why Maps annoys the crap out of me.

Comments

Amelie Harms said…
Me? I hate that it wants to take me onto small roads never used by others than the farmers living by it... It's faster, says Google! No, it's not. Especially not in wintry Sweden.
Jason Bayton said…
A few weeks ago it diverted me off a backed up motorway and into an even more backed up small road.

I was not amused.

I get on with it fine other than that though.
Jason ON said…
I never use Google Maps for directions. I'm more of a 'give me an intersection' kind of guy. I'll take it from there. 

However, I have tried numerous times to use Maps to plan out motorcycle routes and Google just makes it as difficult as they can for something so simple.
Jason Bayton said…
I can barely make it out of the house without satnav. I've the sense of direction of a blind, one-legged kangaroo on acid.
Jason ON said…
Oooh, that's sad.
Jason ON said…
Why on Earth would you move to Kansas, annabelle lee?
Jason ON said…
I didn't ask why you'd leave California, I asked why on Earth you'd move to Kansas.
Jason ON said…
Scholarships are good. I didn't realize you were in college.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.