I called the local police once because a handful of kids (let's say, late teens) were walking through the parking...

I called the local police once because a handful of kids (let's say, late teens) were walking through the parking lot of the condo complex where I live looking in the windows of various cars. A little later the police still hasn't arrived and I called back to say it looked like they went through a neighbor's window. The dispatcher actually asked me if I was she they weren't allowed in the home. I responded with, "Well, they went through the window not the door..." To which she replied, "but you don't know if they're guests who forgot their keys or not?"

I didn't know that for sure, but their behavior was highly suspicious and less like a guest would behave, in my opinion. However, she kept pushing that point home: you're sure they're not friends of the homeowner, that they're not supposed to be there?

Finally, frustrated, I said, "The woman that lives there is a middle aged single white woman. It looks like three black guys walking around inside and one outside keeping an eye out from the front porch. No, I'm not sure they're not guests, but I'm also not sure she isn't in there with her throat sliced or bring gang raped."

But you can't be sure...?

It wasn't until I said I'd get my gun and go check that she said she'd send someone out. Over all, thirty minutes had passed. The kids left and the police arrived. Sure enough, the screen was cut and the house was broken into. The woman who lives there wasn't home at the time but I spoke with her the next day. She said they took a few pieces of jewelry and some cash but nothing else.

My point? Someone minding their own business isn't suspicious. Someone going through a window is. People and the police need to know the difference.

via Marla Caldwell​

Originally shared by Cynthia S.

When the police are like you are wasting our time with this bs....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3071957/It-s-not-illegal-black-Cops-complain-online-white-people-getting-freaked-black-neighbors-wasting-police-time-911-calls.html

Comments

Marla Caldwell said…
That's a legit "come and check it out" call, particularly since you knew the homeowner had no kids. "A black man is fishing in the pond!" is not a legit call, and we need to get to the point where those are extremely rare.
Don Johnson said…
Was this before or after the Boston professor broke into his own house and then went postal when the cops showed up?
Jason ON said…
Don Johnson, after.
Scott Britton said…
What you expect police to hurry and risk actually confronting the criminals, that is way too dangerous!
Alexis Cantrina said…
Unfortunately most likely what has happened is they have had a lot of calls from people who are being over sensitive and it turns out to be nothing that now they are just suspect of the calls just being people over reacting.
Jason ON said…
Yeah, Alexis Cantrina, that was my other point. I fully believe the police might have thought I was calling on "those scary black guys" but the dispatch operator shouldn't have sat there are argued with me.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.