I was the kid who got to sit in the auditorium while kids whose parents could pay for field trips and extra...

I was the kid who got to sit in the auditorium while kids whose parents could pay for field trips and extra activities had a chance to explore life a little more. That's one of the earliest memories I have of knowing there was something different between me and the other kids. It was a lot longer before I realized it was a socioeconomic issue.

Is it fair to children that $10 separates them from their peers? Ten dollars isn't that much money. A thousand dollars would have allowed the rest of the students to attend the fair. Would it have been so hard to ask the community to help? A business or two? Other parents? Instead, the school chose to teach a harsh lesson to about 100 students: you are less than. 

Some of those kids won't ever unlearn that lesson. I was fortunate, or perhaps it's just not in my nature to consider myself less than anyone. A few though, they might take a minute to self-reflect - to realize that we're all equal - that our pants go on one leg at a time, that we all drink at eat, sleep and poop. That the only true thing that separates us is man made constructs designed to do nothing more than drive wedges between people who are otherwise equal. 

via Cara Evangelista 

Originally shared by ****

And people worry about for-profit schools having the wrong incentives....
http://nypost.com/2015/05/24/no-pay-no-play-kids-who-cant-pay-10-fee-banned-from-school-carnival/

Comments

Marla Caldwell said…
That's a really sucky lesson to learn, especially so young. My kids had to miss out on some fields trips due to cost along the way, but there were others that either were affordable at the time or the school had made arrangements for families that couldn't afford the cost. Seems like this school could and should have done the same.
laurie corzett said…
because an essential lesson is that being poor makes you unworthy of the luxuries afforded to those who can pay
you know, punishment so you will stop being poor
Damien Herrera said…
This pisses me off to the 10th degree
Jason ON said…
Exactly. Let the kids go during school hours and keep it open after hours for the families to join their kids. Would have brought in a lot more money, too.
Marla Caldwell said…
Or do as my school did back in the day and hold it on Saturday for everyone.
S rodden said…
Nice way to pass blame for your parents not coughing up what you say was a little ten dollar bill

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.