All you advertisers out there who use auto-play videos when someone visits a website, let me tell you how annoying...

All you advertisers out there who use auto-play videos when someone visits a website, let me tell you how annoying that is for the rest of us. Not only is it outing someone who might be perusing a website while at work, but auto-play ads are especially aggravating when in a quiet zone. 

Let's say, for example, I'm sitting in a library (which I am) and someone using one of the library's computers clicks to his Facebook/CNN/DenverPost/wherever and an auto-play video pops up and starts playing. Loudly. 

This means my quiet place of solitude has just been infiltrated with your stupid ad for something I don't care about.

Remember those blinking ads that surrounded content on just about every late 90s and early 00s webpage? Your ads are like those but even more annoying.

/rant

Comments

Nate Taylor said…
There is a new one I see floating around. It stays silent until you acidently mouse over it. Then it scares the shit outta you with a loud "dadunk" you've got mail kind of sound.
Jason ON said…
I have 10 tabs open right now. Every once in a while one of them starts making noise. By the time I click through them the noise has stopped. I don't know which one it is, but I have a fairly good idea. 

If it's the one I'm thinking of, the ad is below the screen so the user has to scroll to it to get it to stop.

Very annoying.
Nate Taylor said…
Are you using Chrome? It should show a little speaker icon next to the "x" on any tab producing sound.
Jason ON said…
Yeah, but I've never noticed that x.
Theresa Reel said…
I would add too, that it makes people like me, leave and NOT come back.  There are plenty of choices online, so I don't have to stay..
Jason ON said…
Same here. One of many reasons I don't go over to Facebook.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.