I've often wondered this myself.

I've often wondered this myself.

From September 12, 2001 until now we've seen basic rights, rights laid out in our laws and in precedent being ignored or circumvented by legislation and judicial review to protect the few from the many.

Ironically under the guise of protecting the very freedoms and liberties the branches of government claim we hold dear.

Can a democratic republic exist when it's government isn't working in the interests of the law?
http://www.google.com/producer/editions/CAowhgI/al_jazeera_english/CAIiEEu7h9hXJgtVNGs_tYhUegUqFAgEKgwIACoFCAowhgIwkDgwob0I/can_american_democracy_survive_its_betra

Comments

John Luzier said…
It can survive, but "we the people" need to take it back.
This is the most frequent cause of death of democracies - some temporary military or economic threat causes them to vote too much power into the hands of too few.

Avoiding voting is precisely the wrong approach though. Movements like Occupy will not have their full strength if they don't also Occupy the voting booth. Imagine a representative willing to use Occupy-style consensus building to decide on votes and submitting crowdsourced bills to be voted on by the rest of Congress.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.