Went over to storage a took out an old pair of basic issue combat boots (Army): the black ones, full leather.

Went over to storage a took out an old pair of basic issue combat boots (Army): the black ones, full leather. 

Apparently I've never even worn them since they have no creases and the laces have never been threaded. The leather is incredibly stiff.

Anyone know how I can un-stiffen the leather?

I remember an old barracks tale that said you can soak leather boots in water and then wear them until they're dry, but I don't want to try that since it sounds painful.

Comments

Mink oil! Or any good leather treatment from a shoe store. But mink oil works the best an helps water proof them.
Jason ON said…
I'll have to see if I can find a vat of mink oil, then. Thanks!
About $10, comes in  a little tin like shoe polish.
Gem F said…
I second both ideas. You should be able to get both at any store that carres kiwi shoe polish, right next to the shoe polish. (Kiwi also sells cakes of these in their standard tins) Also, I think the old wives tale is probably a hazing trick for n00bs, water and leather don't generally get along, and it might make the stiffness problem worse.
Water alone may actually shrink the leather. You can also google for leather and ranch supply stores near where you live. They will most likely have mink oil or saddle soap in stock. They may also have other suggestions.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.