A couple of years ago someone dumped some goldfish in a pond near where I live.

A couple of years ago someone dumped some goldfish in a pond near where I live. At first we counted a handful and then 40 or so. Last year they seemed to explode in population and we started wondering if the pond would be able to support that many. 

Yesterday, while out walking the Rufus I noticed through the ice some orange (or gold) in clumps. Today I saw even more. Lots more. 

This picture is the same group of fish and that's my shadow. That's just one grouping of "gold" under the ice. Granted, it might be the largest one, but there were at least 3 others I saw and all of them were about half this large.

Perhaps the ducks and geese will be feasting come ice melt. Who knows?

Comments

Rich G. said…
We had a pond that would freeze over some winters and the goldfish would go to the deepest point. I never noticed them dying from it. Granted it wouldn't stay frozen for weeks at a time I don't think.
Ben Helstad said…
That's incredibly impressive! We have some friends who live in Logan Utah that kept goldfish in their pond. During the winter, the pond would freeze over, sometimes for a few weeks and every time, they'd find more goldfish than they remembered. 

Finally, the wife realized that they were "having goldfish sex. Who knew!". Great laughs were had by all!

I really hope the ducks and geese help with population control on that front. If not, the pond will do it's own job for them.
Jeff Chapman said…
3 feet deep or more and they have no trouble surviving

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.