Coming Out

No, it's not what you think. Yes, the term "coming out" usually means "out of the closet" but in this case the closet isn't a gay one, it's a religious one. Or rather, it's an atheistic one.

That's right, I'm an atheist.

Someone on Google+ posted a question this morning about "coming out" and do we have any interesting stories to tell regarding coming out to our families or friends.

I don't.

Somewhen along the time I was 12 or 13 I reasoned (the Christian's) god couldn't exist. It's really not that hard to do once you start thinking about it. I didn't need Dawkins, Darwin or Carl Sagan to help me figure it out -- it was simply a conclusion I came to on my own.

I remember the first time I said it out loud in front of a parent. I was 17 and signing up for the Army, the recruiter sitting at my mom's dining room table asked a succession of questions and finally came to religion. I answered atheist. My mom sort of jumped and the recruiter (wrongfully) told me I couldn't have "atheist" on my ID tags and instead wrote down "no preference." That always annoyed me and still does when I look at my tags.

Years later at a family reunion, of sorts, on my father's side, the conversation turned to something about religion and I just excused myself claiming, as an atheist, the conversation wasn't for me. My step mother took a tone of authority (did she not realize I was 24 or 25 at the time?) and said, "No, you're Catholic." I replied, "no I'm not," and kept on going. She makes it a point to always remind me the family is Catholic whenever she get's a chance, but that doesn't mean I'm Catholic.

I then discovered I was baptized while an infant. My father -- 3 times divorces, marital cheater with bastard children all over the place -- apparently wanted to make sure my soul was saved. One should note, my father and his wife are what I refer to as Christmas and Easter Catholics. The other 363 days a year, religion is cumbersome, but on December 25th and Easter, religion is paramount. You know the type.

My mom's side of the family, aside from my aunt, a very devout Mormon, are mostly deist, believing there's a god, but they don't bother each other.

Unfortunately, I don't have any real horror stories. My family doesn't talk to me much and I'm okay with that, however, I don't think it's religion-based, it's more that we're different kinds of people.

By the way, did you know there is an Atheists' Wish List?






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.