So, I'm watching this show (I've seen before) on NatGeo called The Whale That Ate Jaws and of course they're...

So, I'm watching this show (I've seen before) on NatGeo called The Whale That Ate Jaws and of course they're mentioning the White Shark and the Great White, which got me to thinking: why is it referred to as the Great White Shark, when there is no "Lesser White Shark.*

The terms "White Shark" and "Great White Shark" both represent the same species, formally known as Carcharodon carcharias. Most scientists seem to prefer to use the name White Shark, apparently on the grounds that there is no 'greater' or 'lesser' White Shark, there's just one species: the White Shark. But most lay-people seem to much prefer to use the name Great White Shark or Great White, as though it is important to stress the 'greatness' (size, predatory prowess, charisma, or dangerousness) of this animal. -- http://www.elasmo-research.org/education/white_shark/ws_or_gws.htm
http://natgeotv.com/uk/the-whale-that-ate-jaws

Comments

Jason ON said…
^^What the hell is that, Alfredo Pagan?^^

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.