I was reading a post by Dave Powell on his post: https://plus.google.com/101793532287583914396/posts/2zniQYoJT8r

I was reading a post by Dave Powell on his post: https://plus.google.com/101793532287583914396/posts/2zniQYoJT8r

The quote he found on Twitter reads: 'If you could save a drowning man or win Pulitzer prize for taking a photo of drowning man, which camera and film would you use?'

I couldn't help but think of the attached video when I read that post. Remember the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina when some of the news agencies were criticizing CNN's Anderson Cooper 360 for getting too involved with helping people when his team could of instead just stayed to the sidelines and reporting what they witnessed? I think we should all get involved when we're called upon by circumstance to intervene.

Call it a hero complex or whatever you will, but I can't sit by and not interfere when I think there needs to be action. That means if someone's being overly physical with their dog, child, S.O. or if someone or something is in distress.

Don't get me wrong, I don't go out of my way to find these situations, but as my longtime friends know, I intervene much more than I see others who could. Not nearly as much as firefighters, the police or paramedics do, however.

I should write a blog post about this as I was raised in a "everyone for himself" culture and yet it wasn't until the military that my dormant, yet dominant, instinct to help was awakened.

Anywho, I digress. Enjoy the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpT62K515_k

Comments

Dave Powell said…
Very powerful video. I read a similar story on the guy who filmed the general in the Vietnam War who shot the guy on the street and it talked about all of the fall out from it.
Meki Cox said…
EXCELLENT post - and found it from one of your shares...
Norman M. said…
Sestra aka Mae The vid is a production with writers, director, producers, grips, etc. The scenario described by the vid is very unlikely if not impossible. Thus the vid is similar to a vid of a picture that shows the Moon is made of blue cheese.
Norman M. said…
Daniele Vega Powerful, yes, possible? No. It is powerful that the Moon is made out of blue cheese... but that is impossible.
Jason ON said…
Or, it's a case of showing exactly what some photographers and videographers see and how they either fail to or choose not to interact.
Meki Cox said…
I think that - if I were a photographer - put into that position... It might have been difficult.

News teams must document... They are our historical logs for the future. They are our news that we rely upon.

In that particular scenario - the photographer could have been killed... and the child killed as well.

The terrorist was killing - period.

She documented that girl - and gave her death meaning - instead of just being another body strewn across the rubble of war or fighting.

The girl - knew she could not be helped she did not scream out - but she also knew that the photographer saw what was happening... and the photographer documented it.

A way of preserving history.

Very sad... the story itself... because there is NO RIGHT --- NO WRONG...

Either way you go - would be wrong.

As to her heart - you saw it break... (at least the actress portrayed it as such).

To me - this was a well done film piece... very poignant - and sad.

But we - as a society want news - we want what is happening documented. She was in a place where things like that happen all the time... Human life - becomes nothing at some point - you become cold... Look around at the fighting you saw --- the death around --- she was documenting it - not getting involved in it.... But this one piece - caused her to become emotionally involved.

Unlike the other strewn about bodies...

So - yes - the story was good.

Sad - and human.
Norman M. said…
Jason ON Its a scenerio that has been slided a bit to the extreme side to provoke emotion. Unfortunately, I really don't know what I would do if the Moon is made of blue cheese. :-)
Meki Cox said…
The reshare of this at:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/101793532287583914396/posts/eAWveCjkWr9


has sparked a bit of a controversial comment section... LOLs
Dave Powell said…
Meki Cox just a bit...
Norman M. said…
The right emotion trigger.
Meki Cox said…
The whole purpose of a writer's aim - is to create some sort of feeling... whether good or bad makes no difference... It is the knowledge that what was written caused a reaction... touched someone - somewhere...

Thus script writers, authors, journalists - all write to cause a reaction... This movie is no different...
Ron Clifford said…
Norman Ma Why do you feel this is such an impossible situation?? have you ever been in a situation where you were given the opportunity to stand between a man (girl) and a gun?? That part is not impossible. The only thing I see as unlikely is the final shot choice for the award, It would have more likely been the moment before the shot, just like the man in front of the tank. For Impact, they showed us the photo of the result so we could see through the photographers eye.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.