Just helping a brotha out.


Just helping a brotha out.

Originally shared by Richard Hughes

For the past 3 weeks I've been working long nights on an open source colorimeter called the ColorHug. This is hardware that measures the colors shown on the screen and creates a color profile. Existing hardware is proprietary and 100% closed, and my hardware has a GPL bootloader, GPL firmware image and GPL hardware schematics and PCBs. It's faster than the proprietary hardware, and more importantly a lot cheaper.

Making hardware does cost money, and I can't give the hardware away for free like I do my other software. I'm aiming to do an initial production run of 50 units, but I'm going to need some advanced orders just to make sure I don't get stuck with a lot of stock and no buyers. I'm offering a 20% discount on each unit, on the assumption the first users will be testing the firmware and reporting problems. If you want to support a cool open source project, I'm asking £48 for each unit, plus postage and packaging. There's a whole website http://www.hughski.com/ if you want to know more about the project, and there's even an newsletter if you don't need hardware, but want to know how we're getting on.

I would very much appreciate it if people could reshare this post, and help me get to my target of 50 pre-orders.

Thanks,

Richard

Comments

Dunken K Bliths said…
fantastic idea !!! - shame its not available for windows...!!!
Robert N. Lee said…
The only people who need this only use Windows or Mac, so...nice thing that was made for little to no purpose, I guess.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.