The Wonder of the 90s -- in no particular order

So, I was watching something VH1 called 40 Greatest One Hit Wonders of the 90s or something to that effect. Anywho, I was in my 20s during a vast majority of the 90s and still like the music from that decade. Yes, I'm getting old. Don't get me wrong, there is some good modern music, too, but the 90s saw the end of hair bands and the beginning of grunge, saw the death of the power-ballad (thank the gods) and we saw rap mature a little more. I think we also had a little more variation in tunes than we're hearing today. 

Oh, and alternative rock. I love alternative rock. These days they call it just plain old rock. 

There are about 20 more songs VH1 went over in their 40 One Hit Wonders of the 90s than I share here, but I wasn't paying too close of attention to the show. 


1. 

This is just a fun tune that make me want to go to the beach. I don't know what, maybe because they're singing about sunshine, maybe it's because I associate sunshine with the beach -- I don't know. I just know it's fun, catchy and I like hearing this song. Oddly enough, I remember listening to this song (for the first time?) during a fairly intense snow storm. 


2. 

I think this song came out in my senior year of high school, you know, back when MTV still played music videos and "reality TV" was called the news. Oh, and Andrew Dice Clay: "oh!"

3. 

I can't help it, sometimes when I'm riding the motorcycle or just doing repetitive work this song pops into my head and won't leave. Why? Because it's catchy, that's why. They lick me boom, boom, down!

4. 

Good song, no doubt about it. 

5. 

Mmmm.... rumps.

6. 

I was in the Army when this song came out, living in Mannheim, GE. We used to go to a country music dance club (yes, really. Because that's where the girls were, duh) and the DJ played this song. Who knew the band was Swedish? I didn't. I thought it was some new sort of acid-country, or something. Anywho, it's still a catchy tune.

7. 

Who doesn't like the Humpty Dance? I mean, seriously!

8. 

Mmm... rumps, er, I mean, butts. 

9. 

Remember We Didn't Start the Fire by Billy Joel? This song reminds me of that song and that is a great song.


10. 

Was this song on the Pulp Fiction soundtrack? I think that's where I heard it first and even though I'm an atheist, this song was a catchy song that asked a good question: what if god (we're assuming the christian god, here) walked among the rest of humanity? Would he still be as divine? Or, is that same god made in man's image?

11.  

I didn't like this song when it came out, but after years and years (and years) it finally grew on me. It's an anthem to all of us to live in the moment and "jump around." Yeah, I said it. 



This song wouldn't let me embed and I nearly didn't include it for that reason, but I did anywhere because it's a cool song. 


13. 

This video might have single-handedly inspired this blog post. Every time I hear it I am taken back to that first time I saw the video: 1997, I was in Vilseck, GE. I was at a bar and the music video came on the giant screen. I couldn't hear it, but I could see it and I liked what I saw. Yes, Meredith Brooks is a very pretty girl. And doesn't love a girl who is a goddess on her knees? 

14. 

Ding, da, da, ding, ding, ding, ding
Ha! I remember being such a huge fan of this song even during and after the controversy. I always thought Vanilla Ice came off as an tool in the video and laughed at my best friend when he emulated VI, but you can't help but like it when you hear it. Maybe it's the Queen sampling, maybe it's because you're sitting there, collaborating and listening, I don't know.

I also remember riding in my friend's 5.0 Mustang a few years later. Who can ride in a 5.0 and not think of this song?

15. 

Lessons for life not-so hidden in a cheesy song? Absolutely! "I get knocked down, but I get up again!" A few years ago I had the line "Danny boy" as my ringtone for my friend Danny, whom I met before this song came out. This song always reminds me of living in Europe. Good times.

16. 

Doh! Yes, I Macarena'd. Back in the day it was the dance to do -- now, only the coolest people can be seen doing it. :D


17. 

There's something about this song I can't quite remember. I want to say I did something cool like sing it at karaoke, but that's not it -- I've only ever sang one song at karaoke and I know which one it is. Was this the first song I ever danced to in a club? Did I do some goofy routine with friends? I don't remember. Regardless, "I'm too sexy..."

That's right.

18. 

THIS is the only song I ever sang at karaoke! I didn't want to go out and socialize that night, but my friend came to my room (in the barracks) and said he wanted to go do something. I told him I wasn't getting dressed, so he and I went to the O-Club on Sullivan Barracks in our winter PTs. It was a Tuesday, their karaoke night. So, I sang this the one and only time I ever karaoke'd. 

Yes, I'm that awesome.

19. 

It was years after this song came out that I jokingly referred to a friend as Ricky Swavvy. He thought I didn't know what I was talking about but I did. Ricky Swavvy is sort of like Rico Suave's retarded cousin. He thinks he's hot and suave, but he's not. 

20. 

This TV show came out during the Beverly Hills, 90210 and Melrose Place phase of soap opera dramas geared towards teens and early twenty somethings. I watched it for a bit but never really got into the characters. I do remember, though, listening to a DJ, or VJ, or someone, talk about how no show in television history that had a hit song ever got cancelled before this one did.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.