As I was leaving a store ins a strip mall I noticed a dog sitting in the back seat of a old Lincoln towncar.

As I was leaving a store ins a strip mall I noticed a dog sitting in the back seat of a old Lincoln towncar.I mean old, like the same age as me "old." I started talking to the dog like I always do when I see new dogs and (she) just watched me from her right eye. It was after she turned towards me that I saw the lump on her head.

I was shocked. I didn't know what was going on: was it a birth defect or a skull wound that didn't heal properly or something else? I saw a guy walking towards the direction of the car and asked him if it was his -- he said no.

It was then that I walked around to the other side and got a closer look as you can see in the first image. Terrible! I thought maybe the dog had jumped out the window, slammed it's head on the pavement and it was swollen due to a fracture or something. I was ready to kill the owners!

I thought about leaving but knew I'd be haunted for the rest of the evening if I didn't find out what was going on, so I went into the store that was in front of the parked car and asked the people working at the counter if they knew who owned the brown Lincoln. The people were at the counter standing next to me.

I asked them what was wrong with their dog and they explained how the dog had a 7lbs (yes, that's seven-pounds) tumor on her head. They had it surgically removed over the summer and it grew back within a week. They've scheduled 3 times to have the dog put to sleep, but since she didn't appear to be in pain, played, ate and still chased birds at the park, they've always cancelled their plans. She is 9 years old just the friendliest dog in the world. They did explain the vet told them the dog is in pain but not showing it, though, so they do have to take that into consideration.

I asked if I could take a picture and they said yes (which is the second picture).

According to them, if the tumor gets to the jaw or the throat they will have no choice as the dog won't be able to eat, as it sits right now it recently got to her ear so they're worried she is going to have ear pain.

Comments

Brianne said…
That poor baby. :o(
Mike Bates said…
I feel for the dog and the family. It is all about quality of life and that can be so hard to judge.
Jennifer Luzio said…
So glad she is loved for however long she has left. ♥
Kryptyk Physh said…
So hard to see a member of the family like this...
Jack Loken said…
When it's time, she will let her owners know.
David Route said…
Always difficult to decide when to let a loved go. Especially when they are an animal that can't "tell" you when they're ready. So sad.
Yay Happens said…
Really admirable of you to go in and find out if the dog was in fact not being subjected to abuse. I am glad to know the family was open about the dog's story, too. So sorry for the dog and the family. I hope it lives a happy and loved life for the rest of its days.
Brian Hopper said…
That is a great story and what you did. Awesome the owners where cool enough to explain. You did a great thing that most people don't have the balls to go and find out. Very awesome of you. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.