Alright, you Saturday-night owls, I need some technical assistance:

Alright, you Saturday-night owls, I need some technical assistance:

I'm having a weird problem on my Android. As some of you know, I recently purchased a new phone but the problem persists. Here's the story:

My three year old Android's microphone stopped working while making calls. That is to say, while the phone was in phone mode. If I switched to speaker it worked fine, as well as by audio recording app which I always used in a speakerphone mode. But during calls? Nothing.

I just thought it was because the phone was old. The power button had already stopped working and it was seriously dragging some butt as it struggled to keep up with modern apps.

But, with this new phone, which I've only had since Wednesday, I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking it's an app or setting somewhere as I imported all apps and settings from cloud and so have all, or at least most, of the same apps with the same settings.

It doesn't seem to have the same problem when I'm using the Voice app to make/receive calls. At least, I don't recall any problems when using that app as opposed to the phone app.

What I've already done:

[1] Cleared the phone app's cache and restarted the phone.
[2] Toggled some of the "voice input" settings on other apps.
[3] Removed microphone permissions from recently installed apps.
[4] Booted phone into safe mode and wiped the cache.

I'm officially out of ideas except to take the device back to factory and add the apps one-by-one testing the phone's ability one-by-one.

Android version 8.1.0, if that matters.

Comments

Jason ON said…
Just went into App Permissions and denied all the apps the ability to use the microphone. No change.
Carms Perez said…
What phone did you have? What phone did you get? How did you transfer your data?
Jason ON said…
Carms Perez I currently have the OnePlus 5T and I transferred the data by just using Google's backup and restore settings.
Jon Mallin said…
Jason ON clear Phone app's Data (not cache only). Run Phone and enable all necessary permissions when prompted. Check permissions in Settings to confirm all necessary permissions are enabled. Make changes if necessary, and then test. Also, check to make sure the OS and apps after fully updated.
Jason ON said…
Jon Mallin I've already done that. Multiple times, in fact. And the phone app is as up to date as I can make it.
Jason ON said…
Just booted into "Safe Mode" and tried making a call with the same results.

I also tried turning off "Noise Cancellation" as I could clearly hear background noise through the phone, just not my voice. Weird, right?

And, like I said, it works fine when using the microphone in any other app, just not in "Phone" when using the phone as a phone. In speakerphone it works fine.
Sounds like "they" have you bugged and their bugging patch broke something.
BTW I don't know you.
Jason ON said…
After perusing the internet, this appears to be a fairly common problem a lot of people are having.

I'm nearly at the point where I'm thinking about taking the new phone back to stock and seeing if it's an Android issue, but a lot of people on XDA-Developers say their ROM choice doesn't matter.

Maybe a non-stock dialer? It's about the only thing I haven't tried.
Jason ON I haven't heard of this happening in quite a while, and then only on third party ROMS.
Bob Lai said…
Are you using any Bluetooth accessories (headsets, earbuds), and could the phone be connecting to something in range?
Is there a van parked on your block?
Nick McIntosh said…
It'll be time consuming, but taking it back to stock is probably the best way to troubleshoot. It's the first thing any tech support is going to tell you to do.
Jon Mallin said…
Customer Service? Warranty? If not, I'd still contact One Plus. They might come through for you. Jason ON I know you said 3 years but give it a try.
Jason ON said…
Jon Mallin this is the new phone I've had since Wednesday. My previous device was three years old. Both are having the same problem where the mic doesn't work when in phone/call mode unless I'm using speakerphone.

Nick McIntosh i may have to do that today. I want to say it stopped working with the latest update.

Christopher Gaul no.

Bob Lai I hadn't thought of that, but yes, I have a smart-enough watch it's connected to. I'm going to try disconnecting this before taking it back to stock.
Jason ON said…
I could have sworn the Phone app had microphone permissions and how would this not affect the call when it's in speakerphone mode?
Nick McIntosh said…
Maybe verify the phone app you have is the one from Google LLC

The icon is different too.
Jason ON said…
It's the one that came with the device and I don't see any others in the Play store built by Google.
Jon Mallin said…
Does One Plus still have more than one official ROM? They previously had multiple for the OnePlus One. If so, maybe take a different official ROM for a spin
Jason ON said…
I think the official OnePlus ROM is Oxygen and I highly doubt it's a ROM issue as I had the exact same issue on my previous device and, per the internet, many people are having the same issue running all sorts of different ROMs.
Jason ON said…
support.oneplus.com - Never Settle - OnePlus.com

https://forums.androidcentral.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-skyrocket/222540-microphone-not-working.html

I'm going to be so pissed if it was something as simple as ...

I went to the dialer and typed in #808 (as seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63AcKA76oOI) and performed the mic check. I noticed I could barely record anything until I turned the volume up. Once I did everything seemed to be working fine. I went ahead an rebooted the phone anyway and will make a test call as soon as I get out of here.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.