I agree with nearly every statement in this piece.

I agree with nearly every statement in this piece. In fact, with much smaller words, I came to be conclusion years ago (during the GWB admin). When talking to an opposing viewpoint it's best to use their own terms - frame your idea in their words - to have them take your position seriously.

The foundation to any discussion resulting in a consensus of ideological viewpoints is always in the common understanding of the concepts being discussed in the simplest forms. I've even tried this here and other social media outlets, but usually end up with people ranting back at me or worse, blocking me. It's why I tend to start many interactions with questions or laying a base of acceptable facts and working from there. But, as I previously stated, zealots opinionated people aren't interested in the discussion but rather in pushing their own beliefs on others. Which is not the goal of any debate or discussion. The sharing of ideas and influence are.

I call this ubiquitous cause of failure at attempts at political persuasion the “fallacy of the assumed paradigm” because it rests on an unconscious assumption that our opponent’s paradigm (unstated beliefs, meanings of words, facts and their relevance to each other) is the same as ours—except in the few places where he explicitly tells us it isn’t.
https://fee.org/articles/the-mistake-you-make-in-every-political-argument/

Comments

Steve Johnson said…
I tried to write Motorcycle Philosophy with the idea that readers would take something that I had not intended to give, and that was fine as long as it allowed them to explore their own paradigm. Was not always easy to write that way, and I often got wrapped up in my own paradigm. But, I like the idea this author lays out.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.