Human beings have many natural tendencies that need to be vigilantly monitored in the context of modern life.

Human beings have many natural tendencies that need to be vigilantly monitored in the context of modern life. For example, our craving for fat, salt and sugar, which served us well when food was scarce, can lead us astray in an environment in which fat, salt and sugar are all too plentiful and heavily marketed to us. So too our natural curiosity about the unknown can lead us astray on a website that leads us too much in the direction of lies, hoaxes and misinformation.

We've been holding to account both Facebook and Twitter for being conveyors of #fakenews and (Russian) propaganda and yet very little is mentioned of YouTube. I've also noticed how the video sharing site pushes recommends ever more controversial topics but I'm smart enough to know I've fallen deep into the rabbit hole and I can quickly get myself out. But others, we have to believe, are far more susceptible to the whims of algorithms that only feed their innermost biases.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/opinion/sunday/youtube-politics-radical.html

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.