Veterans vs. Soldiers

There I was minding my own business, just chowing down on a hot dog and a soda, when I look up and see this guy grinding his coffee beans and wearing the the sweatshirt pictured below. As an atheist I am appalled at anything that can be interpreted as violence in the name of religion, whether Muslim jihadists, Jewish zionists or so-called "soldiers for Christ."

As a veteran I am also appalled at these sorts of militant religious people. "Soldiers for Christ" sends the wrong message. First of all, Jesus preached against violence and harm. He was a hippy, peace, love, swords to plows and all of that. 

So, I walked up to the man (after I finished my hot dog), tapped him on the shoulder and asked, "Are you a real veteran?"

He didn't turn around, just looked at me over his shoulder, "No."

"Oh, good," I said and walked away. He didn't argue or follow, nor did he create a scene. I fully expected him to be full of righteous fury but he wasn't. Color me surprised.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.