Google Voicemail and Your Android


I have been an Android user since the first Android, +T-Mobile's G1. I've also been a Google Voice user since that service was announced and those of us not special could grab out GV numbers. As soon as the GV app for Android became available I downloaded it to my G1 and used it for making and receiving calls.

When I upgraded to the G2 a couple of years later, I downloaded the GV app again. Easy, peasy, one, two, threesy.

At no time was there an issue with setting up GV voicemail to circumvent the carrier's standard voice mail system.

I am a fan of using Google's voice for my voicemail needs for a number of reasons: email notification and (let's say) attempt to transcribe the message; an mp3 file of the message for future record; and more control.

I like control.

When I purchased the Note II from +T-Mobile I quickly downloaded the app and set up the device to use Google's Voice for voicemail. Unfortunately, it never took. Although the settings were all properly set, the default carrier VM always picked up.

For months I thought it was a conflict between +T-Mobile's desire for users to use their visual voicemail app and Google Voice and let it fall to the wayside. I don't get many voicemails and I use my GV number for almost everything but close friends and family, and I still had access via the browser interface at voice.google.com. 

But, I was annoyed. I don't like being annoyed. And one cool April morning I searched the internet for an answer to my dilemma. 

Thank Google, I found it! And now I'm sharing it with you. Be warned, your mileage may vary depending on your carrier and your plan (apparently this won't work with +T-Mobile's monthly contract plans) and other considerations I'm not imaginative enough to think of for you.

However, if you still want to set up GV as your default voicemail, this is how:


Step 1 -- Go to voice.google.com while logged into your Google account




Step 2 -- Under the Phones option, Scroll down to Forwarding Options



Step 3 -- Choose the option to Go straight to voicemail and then click Activate above it.

A pop-up screen will, um, pop-up with a code to enter into your Android's dialer. Since I'm with +T-Mobile mine starts with **400* then my GVoice number, then #. In all, it looks like this:

Hit Send. (Yes, it's that easy)

After you hit "Send" on your Android everything should work out okay. If it doesn't, make sure you are on your cellular network. I tried this using +T-Mobile's Wifi Calling at first and it didn't work, but once I turned that off and reverted back to their cellular network, it worked just fine.

My friend just went through this set-up herself, and her being on +Sprint, she had a different code to type in on Step 3.

She also had to change the Forwarding Options from "ring other phones" to Send to Voicemail, but then it worked just fine for her, too.

[source: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2033828]
[source: http://goo.gl/DjXYn]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.