One of my largest pet peeves on social media is the link-share no comment I see running rampant.

One of my largest pet peeves on social media is the link-share no comment I see running rampant. What's a link-share, no comment? Well, Timmy, that's when someone shares a link, either from Reader, from mobile or from manually adding it to the comment box, allowing Google (FB, wherever) to pull the title and lead paragraph/sentence and sharing it to their followers without adding a comment of their own.

Some people have tried to circumvent the "no comment" by copying and pasting a paragraph or a sentence from the article, something they think is profound and attention-grabbing, as their personal comment, but anyone who actually reads the article linked to can clearly see the blatant copy and paste.

These things annoy me. If you're going to share content, at least let your followers know why you're sharing it. Do you agree, disagree? Problem with the reasoning or logic? Find the subject matter interesting -- why?

I've unfollowed a few people for their link-share, no comment posting, especially when their Stream is more than 90% link-shares. I usually send the person a comment letting them know why they're being unfollowed and have received my share of hate (e)mail in response.

Most recently someone posted an article about a death: an apparent murder suicide. According to the article, the killer/suicider (is that a word?) was a conspiracy theorist and the person who posted the article is also a conspiracy theorist. Yet the poster posted the article with no comment. Nothing. Just the link.

Was the poster saying there was something hinky with the circumstance of the killer/suicider's death? Was the poster lamenting the death of  kindred spirit? What was it about this particular death/suicide that struck the poster as shareable? He didn't say.

So I asked. Granted, I wasn't very eloquent when I replied (I was the only response to the post, by the way), I merely asked "So...?"

The poster's response was that I am (apparently) an ass and he's uncircling me. That's fine, I told him. 

What's my point? link-shares, no comments annoy me. Even when I share my own blog posts, I write a little something to introduce my followers to the post. At the very least I comment "no comment" or "parking this here for later review" or to encourage discussion, "what do you guys think about the article's point?"

They're not always long drawn out preambles, but they're something, anything, that let's the reader know some perspective I have on the subject.

Anywho, I'm just venting.

Comments

Calvin Phuong said…
I've seen it too. The problem is partially the audience. It seems that people click on shiny images more often than thoughtful posts with ideas such as this one. So the posters want attention and they post whatever they find cute without imparting their own reasons for sharing.

I could post the same comment in 2 different ways and they get different attention.

Put a though provoking quote as your post without images and you will get some people to join.

BUT, put that same caption in black and white on a JPEG and all of a suddent it gains some magical credibility.

I guess it comes back to laziness. Laziness on the part of the poster to share his/her ideas on the issue and Laziness on the part of the audience to be attracted to the easy read.
I can forgive this such a thing once in a while, as I am likely guilty of doing so myself once in a while. The serial offenders do get uncircled. Especially if that is all I ever see them posting.
Jason ON said…
It might have been a year ago, Calvin Phuong, where I posted about exactly that point. I questioned the Googleverse why, if I post a thought out comment, I would received nary any discussion, but I could share a meme or a photo and poof people come out of the woodwork to plus and comment.

I blame Twitter for making the attention span of modern people nearly as long as a fruit fly's.
Calvin Phuong said…
Maybe if we come up with a snazzy enough jpeg comment, we can start something.
Jason ON said…
Exactly, Al Steffen. Once in a while, especially from mobile, we all share without some sort of comment, but some people are serial link-share, no commentors.

I told one person on here that I wasn't interested in her Reader feed, I was interested in discussion. She still posts without comment, but nearly as often.
Steve Ruge said…
I'm trying to reform myself. Still miss a few now and then but I am trying to include at least a brief blurb or two.
Calvin Phuong said…
Just had another thought about what annoys me with some posters. Some will just post items (link-share or not) and never comment back on the subject after you comment on it. What do they do? Just read the comments and sit there waiting for more comments?
That's exactly why I always throw a comment on there when I link.
Steve Ruge said…
No they just dump into their streams and keep dumping moving on to the next article so that they stay prominent on G+ in their eyes.
Jason ON said…
I have done that. It annoys me when I do, but a lot of times  post from mobile and don't get back to desktop for a day or two. I usually try and keep up with my posts, but sometimes I just can't, or at least can't in a reasonable intelligent manner. ;)
Calvin Phuong said…
It happens and I'm guilty as well, but as you pointed out, some people have a serial problem.
Sometimes the reason I put no comment is that I don't feel I have anything interesting to add that isn't already in the article. Is a comment of "Interesting article" really any better than none at all?
Jason ON said…
Yes. Or better yet: "This is why this article's interesting."
In a sense, you have to sell me on reading the article. It helps me parse out the ones that are worth my time to look into. If you don't have anything to say about it, it cannot be that interesting.

In fact, that is how I determine I am going to share something. If I can't think of anything to add, or say why I enjoyed it, then I don't post it.
Jason ON What about re-shares of someone else's link-share with a comment? are those fine?

I guess looking at my stream I'm actually doing better at avoiding the link-share no comment than I thought I was!
Kevin C. I treat those the same as I do any other link, myself.
Jason ON said…
It's still nice to see why you thought it worth a share. I won't share someone's post if they don't have a comment of their own. I'd rather open the link and then share the link either via the +1 button or URL. I've had some negative feedback for that because I was "messing up their ripples" but that's their problem. All they had to do was have a comment or something.
Calvin Phuong said…
River Khan How about just putting: Discuss
Jason ON said…
Or... "withholding comment until I see how other's feel about it..."
It is also possible to say why you think it is interesting without giving a direct opinion.
Calvin Phuong said…
Now, I'm going to remember Jason ON 's thread for the whole next month each time I post

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.