Oil


Oil

I purchased some oil for the SV to give it an oil change and fell deep into the internet of "what oil is best for my bike" questions on forums, blog posts, videos, etc.

What oil do you use?

For the past decade I've been using Rotella T6 5w-40 in my Sv1000s. It hasn't been spectacular, but it hasn't been bad, either. And by 'bad' I mean, it hasn't done any harm. On some forums (specifically related to the SV1Ks) the going consensus is that just about any oil rated "JASO" is appropriate for use in a wet clutch and therefore, just about any diesel oil will work.

Others claimed they've been using any oil they can get their hands on, whether it's "JASO" rated or not, with no problems. Others said they only use Suzuki oil and others, again, claim they only use oil formulated for race bikes.

As a change, I bought some Chevron Diesel 5w-40 (Synthetic) yesterday and will soon change out the oil in my SV. Maybe it will run better than the Rotella, maybe it won't - I don't know.

Oil Resources:

https://www.oilspecifications.org/jaso.php
https://www.cycleworld.com/2014/07/04/ask-kevin-should-i-use-motorcycle-synthetic-oil-or-petroleum
http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html#Oil
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/forums/49/1/Used_Oil_Analysis_-_Motorcycle
https://caltexlubricants.com.au/technical-resources/jaso/


[image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/simpleinsomnia/19894652729]

Comments

John Lintner said…
It's simple, stick with what the manufacturer specified, and (IMO) a name brand. The SV is water cooled, so oil will not be as stressed as say an air cooled bike. I just traded by air/oil cooled (NOT water cooled) BMW R1150R in with 165,000 miles on it; all original, and I did just about all of the services. I followed their service intervals of 6k miles for the engine services including oil and filter. In the hotter months, I used 100% synthetic and through the winter months, I used a synthetic blend. I bounced around different brands, all "name brand" but usually whatever was on sale at the time, and met the OEM requirements (SF/SO or something like that?). My new water cooled Triumph has 10k mile service intervals, which I will stick to, following their oil requirements.

Wars have been started over oil discussions on the internets...Good Luck! ;-)
i use rotella as well but went away from the t5 synthetic cause it is too thin in the summer. i feel like i was burning it up. i went to the 15w rotella and been happier ever since. its not synthetic but the oil level doesnt move no matter how many miles i rode. also its $28 for 2.5 gallons at WM so..
If you really want to learn what's happening in your engine, spend a bit of money and get an oil analysis or a few consecutive analysis done. Blackstone Labs for $28. will give you a 'no kidding' look at how oil performed in YOUR machine.
Ross MacRae said…
The debate will go on forever. I put whatever in my KLR, and after a few thousand kilometers, I drained it and used that oil in my lawnmower and snowblower.. I use Rotella in my Versys now, and still drop the used stuff in my lawnmower and snowblower.. Never had issues. Put in the oils you want and ride.
Jason ON said…
Finally got around to actually changing the oil. Topped off the coolant while I had everything apart, too. Also cleaned the K&N air filter. Still can't find that damn oil leak, though.
Oh, answering your question - T6 is now in the Wing.

First drain & fill after OEM was with T4. Lab analysis report: nothing spectacular. Put in the T6 & awaiting the lab analysis on that.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.