Every once in a while I think about shutting down my Google+ account.

Every once in a while I think about shutting down my Google+ account. Today - or rather - this entire past week has been one of those days. Why, you might ask? Because ...

[1] the amount of link-dumping is insane. Scrolling through my stream and I see repeated posts from a handful of people (the handful Google shows me, anyway) and most, if not all, of those posts are merely links with no introduction or comment by the original poster. Nothing. Just a link. Loo, I don't need any of you to be my RSS feed aggregator. Sorry, I just don't. If you're going to post something, tell us why you're posting it. Better yet: create content.

[2] speaking of algorithms ... I'm tired of seeing the same content day in and day out. Yes, I like a certain type of content and engage on certain types of posts, but I followed people to see it all, not what Google has decided I want to see. The same five to seven posts every day all day? No thank you. And sometimes it's not even the same posts, but it's the same links. I can only read the same headline fifty times before from fifty different people before I switch over to a different network.

[3] the lack of discussions. Sure, some posts are very discussion heavy and I like it, but others (most) are little to none. It's called "social media", let's be social. But no. Some people just post and then have comments either limited or turned off altogether. It's annoying.

[4] blocking. Yes, I know there are some trolls out there and there are some people who believe the anonymity of the internet gives them a right to be a dick, but blocking here has just always been too prevalent. The above screen shots show a perfectly benign conversation that resulted in the OP blocking commentor and, in my opinion, she was wrong. I pointed this out to her and she took away my ability to Comment. It's like a bunch of babies who are incapable of having a discussion where they're not being agreed with all the time. You know, like #DonaldTrump. Whatever happened to the free exchange of ideas or giving the other side the benefit of the doubt? Have we all become so intolerant that a simple disagreement or a misinterpretation leads to blocking? This worries me on a larger scale as each time someone using the block feature they're voluntarily sinking themselves further into a self-made echo chamber. Couple that with algorithms and we can start to see why Americans are so polarized and intolerant.

Lately I've been spending more time on Twitter and even though that service is limited in it's usage, I've had better discussions than I have here. And having talked with other Plussers, I know I'm not alone in my thinking. In fact, if I didn't own a thriving community here, I might give up the Ploos altogether.

I've taken G+ hiatuses (is that the plural of hiatus?) before and am thinking it might be time to take one again.


Comments

Andreas Katifes said…
I don't like the way the algorithm works either. I have chosen to stay away from political posts because I have had a lot of arguments in the past regarding EU issues and it hasn't been the best experience.
Förresten, I do not want to see you leave the building.
Sibyl L said…
While I'll agree with your first 3 points, I'm still all in favor of wielding the G+ banhammer (aka mute/block) with a heavy hand. The internet is full of crazy people who are crazy, will violate your boundaries like woah, and will keep gnawing your ankle until you give them a good swift banhammer uppercut. I even had to do it to one or two people I knew in real life, unfortunately. Interesting, but just didn't know when to quit. Personally, I'm rather fond of Jim Wright's rules for posting: http://www.stonekettle.com/p/commenting-rules.html?m=1.
Dave Maez said…
The default algorithm is garbage. If you instead add the people you follow to a single circle, and view that, then you get to see everything (except reshares) from everyone in the circle, in order of when they posted. Also none of that "what's hot" or "trending" crap. (Do they still do that? I don't know, I haven't used the default stream in years).
Jason ON said…
Dave Maez I'll go through and look at the Circles one-by-one when the algorithm gets to be too stupid, but it's not my normal viewing method.
Ariel Batista said…
Wow, I fully agree with you. I was off this for about two weeks. Just got back and found that you hit it on the head. Thanks. Also I know I have done what you said at times. But for the most part I like reading from all points of views.
Olaf Fichtner said…
I found that people whom I thought had left long ago are still here, but Google is not showing me their content, despite me having circled them. That doesn't sound quite right. Is the "ghost town" self-made?
Adam Black said…
I agree with most of this.

The Algorithm is killing G+ its driving us away from each other.

One solution, subscribe to one of my public collections with notifications for a Few a weeks.

Then tag a bunch of people there. I rarely block. Get the party re-started. ( even Gifs are alright now )
Jason ON said…
Olaf Fichtner I've noticed the same thing. People I thought had abandoned the Plus sporadically show up in my stream and a quick glance at their accounts shows they've been active - Google just isn't showing us their posts.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.