Years ago - more than a decade - my go-to jacket was a textile one that could be unzipped to a breathable mesh.

Years ago - more than a decade - my go-to jacket was a textile one that could be unzipped to a breathable mesh. It had some basic armor in it, but nothing else; was comfortable in the summer time and protected from the elements well enough in the spring and fall.

Then I read an article somewhere (I can't remember) about leather versus textile, or ballistic nylon, jackets. As soon as I could I went out and bought my first leather jacket, a Joe Rocket Blaster III, if I remember correctly. I got a really good deal on it. For me it boiled down to durability, protection and longevity.

My current leather jacket is an AGV and no matter how hot it is outside, I'm always wearing it. A few of my riding buddies don't wear leather because they say it's too hot when the temperatures are above 85°F. Personally, I'd rather be a little hot and sweaty than covered in road rash.

What do you wear? Leather? Textile? Ballistic nylon? Titanium reinforced steel plating? Just your skin?
http://topmotorcyclejackets.com/why-wear-leather-jackets-on-a-motorcycle/

Comments

Always a jacket. Usually ballistic nylon with armor. I have one that's mesh and one that's solid. The solid one has met the road at high speed and lived to tell the tail .
Depends on the weather.
Lighter summer jacket for town.
Leather for long trips.
I have a variety of leather gear 2 piece, 1 piece and a nice touring jacket.
Sash Walker said…
I have 4 jackets now. A mesh textile with full d3o armor for hot days, an Icon Raiden DKR with the same armor for long rides in bad weather, a Viking black leather jacket with no armor and another brown leather jacket with no armor. I also wear my kevlar jeans with armor or my Tourmaster rain/cold pants with armor.
Full face, leather gloves, boots, etc.

mono m said…
Adamantium!!! xD...LOL
only have two motorcycles jackets..one for summer and hot days, with some armor, ballistic nylon maybe...and other with full armor for winter & rany days ...cordura I think ...with some days at 104º F not shure leather is an option
Little T-rex said…
Mesh/armor , nice warm liner, rain shell . Would rather have leather with armor but the windscreen would have to go 😎
Mesh w/ armor. I like leather, but it sure gets hot in Texas!
Wallace Roberts said…
'Stich when the outside temps are below ~90F, otherwise perf'd textile. I still have two pairs of my racing leathers if anybody wants to bid on 'em; one has quite a bit of rash for some street cred. ;-)
Jason ON said…
Woo hoo! Built in street cred!
LaJuan Hughes said…
I have Motoport mesh kevlar jacket with all the armour and the stretch kevlar pants.its best jacket I have ever bought. All season comfort.
Leather mostly, but i also have a Kevlar lined flannel for the warmer days.
Jason ON said…
Kevlar lined flannel? I haven't heard of those.
It's made by Speed and Strength Jason ON​

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.