Now, this is one unbundling I can get behind.

Now, this is one unbundling I can get behind. I never wanted a "unified" messaging app, I wanted a quality chat app and a quality SMS/MMS app. Heck, I even unbundled my GV messaging from my Hangouts (Android) app just to make things easier.

The only time a single unified system even worked somewhat remotely well was on desktop and that's only when I wanted to send a text while logged into the browser - I didn't have to open another tab, just the little popup via my Chrome extension.
http://phandroid.com/2015/12/16/hangouts-losing-sms-rumor/

Comments

Stephen Holst said…
As someone who uses Google Voice exclusively and based on the Update at the bottom of the article I guess there will be no changes for me. I personally liked the unified messaging app.
Dmitriy Briskin said…
Wasn't the whole point of Hangouts app originally to unify all messaging, be it using SMS/MMS or IM over data (GTalk)? A single app for communicating with your contacts? So now Google is walking back on that premise, and require different apps for different ways of communication with same contacts?
I use a VOIP app, so integration does me no good anyway.  I need to find a SIP provider that does SMS. Does such a thing exist?
Hassan Alsayed said…
Dmitriy Briskin  Google thinks we all have short term memories. If this happens they need to come out with an apology and just admit they were not able to pull off what Apple has been doing for years.
That's lame, I don't get the point of using two different apps to send short bits of text to people.
Jason Bayton said…
This would be tremendously disappointing.
Emlyn O'Regan said…
Kevin C.​ only two? I count at least five on my phone.
Jason ON said…
Remember guys, this is a rumor. It could just be an internal alpha test experiment for something the article doesn't know about.

But yeah, the Hangouts app annoys me to no end. Is it better than it was in the beginning? Yes. But it still sucks.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.