This is a prefect summation of what I try explaining to "carry all the time" types.

This is a prefect summation of what I try explaining to "carry all the time" types. You're not trained and you're not experienced. Carrying a gun doesn't make you a hero, it makes you a fool. I say this as a gun owner.

Retired Army Sergeant Rafael Noboa y Rivera, who led a combat team in Iraq, says that most soldiers only function effectively after they’ve been exposed to fire a number a times. “I think there’s this fantasy world of gunplay in the movies, but it doesn’t really happen that way,” he says. “When I heard gunfire [in Iraq], I didn’t immediately pick up my rifle and react. I first tried to ascertain where the shooting was coming from, where I was in relation to the gunfire and how far away it was. I think most untrained people are either going to freeze up, or just whip out their gun and start firing in that circumstance,” Noboa said. “I think they would absolutely panic.”

Originally shared by Marla Caldwell

This article pretty thoroughly debunks the trope that "the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun," as famously asserted by NRA head Wayne LaPierre.

Much of today’s opposition to stronger gun safety regulations rests on the gun lobby’s Hobbesian vision of self-sufficient, heavily-armed citizens standing up to vicious thugs. This Die Hardargument is constantly parroted by politicians and conservative pundits. But the statistical reality is that for every justifiable homicide in the United States—for every lethal shooting in defense of life or property—guns are used to commit 34 murders and 78 suicides, and are the cause of two accidental deaths, according to an analysis of FBI data by The Washington Post.


http://www.thenation.com/article/combat-vets-destroy-the-nras-heroic-gunslinger-fantasy/

Comments

Garnie Bolling said…
For those of us who served, yeah we are... Please don't lump us in your opinion group
Jason ON said…
For those of bus who served, yeah we are ... what?
Garnie Bolling said…
Jason ON for those of us who served, know how to handle a firearm, and still practice, just asking not to lump the lawful, trained gun owners to your targeted group... I dislike how folks just lump all gun owners into one bucket, which is like saying all drivers are the same as drunk drivers...
Jason ON said…
I believe the point was made that if you're not professionally trained/experienced, such as a cop or military, then the above statement applies to you. Did you even read the article, Garnie Bolling​?

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.