As a (sometimes) writer I have to admit, flash should never outshine the substance, especially in SciFi, which,...

As a (sometimes) writer I have to admit, flash should never outshine the substance, especially in SciFi, which, sadly, is an easy fallback for Hollywood. That means, the story - the characters - should always be more important than special effects. In other words, SFX should never outshine the story itself. In my opinion, George Lucas forgot this with the prequels. He was so interested in the latest and greatest digital effects that he wrote wooden dialogue which, coupled with his terrible directing, destroyed that galaxy far, far away. We can't forget Lucas created the StarWars universe, the Force, Jedi and Sith in the first place and the story is an epic one, but his execution was poor (in the prequels). I read somewhere recently that Lucas claims his favorite character is the much maligned Jar Jar Binks (http://time.com/4119022/george-lucas-revealed-favorite-star-wars-character-jar-jar-binks/). That should tell you everything you need to know about Lucas. 
http://collider.com/george-lucas-star-wars-7-new-trilogy-consulting-split/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.