Rufus and the Coyotes

Took Rufus and Charlie to the dog park yesterday. It was a barren wasteland of cold, cold and more cold. With temperatures ranging from 0°-1° Fahrenheit in the middle of the day, not many people took their canine companions out for a romp at the park. In the (somewhere near) 200 acres at this dog park we passed only three other people, with four cars in the parking lot.

It's not always a bad thing being alone at the dog park. It can sometimes be cathartic to stuff my phone in my pocket and just be without having to answer to someone, entertain another or be at the beck and call of metal wrapped in plastic.

So there we were, walking along minding our own business; me with my hands in gloves stuffed in my pockets, beanie cap constantly trying to free itself from my head, heavy coat buttoned up over a turtleneck sweater and heavy boots (rated to -40°) to trundle through the snow and polarized sunglasses to protect me from the blinding glare. The dogs, especially Charlie, having to stop every four or five steps to have snow cleared from their paws and finally, the cold biting air to make it feel like sandpaper being swiped across my face.

At the north end of the park I happened to see something out of the ordinary and when I turned to look more closely I saw it was a coyote on the other side of the fence. No... two coyotes. Once I pointed them out to Rufus he went bonkers trying to chase them away. Luckily, there is a 5 foot fence or else Rufus might have been coyote snacks. He's chased coyotes at the park before, thinking he's a mightier hunter than he's ever demonstrated. Not to mention, he's a giant wussy, the first to squeal and hide when playing gets a little too rough.

Anywho, here are to videos I took of Rufus watching the coyotes. I was dismayed that I'd chosen not to bring my dSLR with me and had to acknowledge once again the photographer's maxim: the best camera to have in any situation is the camera you have with you.

Below are the two videos I took. Both of them are small since I was working with limited space on my phone and didn't want to spend weeks uploading a larger video to YouTube over wifi (which is slower than my LTE, but not limited at 2 gigabytes like my LTE).





Towards the end, when the coyotes finally started meandering more towards the wooded wetlands Rufus found himself a spot where the fence wasn't quite touching the ground. Luckily he couldn't get anything more than his head through without digging and the ground was too cold and hard to dig.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.