DoD Accepts Social eNetworking

Social media changing how the military operates - wtop.com

Wow! The DoD doesn't normally embrace outside communications like this and we've seen over the last few years how much they've tried to stem the tide of social media for the troops abroad and at home.

Now it seems as though they have reconsidered, probably based upon the vast numbers of Facebook, MySpace and Twitter accounts out there already operated by military personnel.

Being a veteran I'm glad they've reconsidered. There's nothing like talking to people back home or old friends from around the world to keep the psyche in check which deployed to stressful situations.

In my day the internet was fledgling and I remember making phone calls from Bosnia to my parents and friends back home via a backdoor from the tactical network to the civilian telecom networks. We got away with this for a while before the Army tried to put a stop to it citing a $4, $40 or $400 (I can't recall the exact number as it was 1996) million phone bill. That's a lot of long distance.

With social media, it's cheaper and more efficient.

American soldiers, seamen and airmen went from post, to phone and are now moving at the speed of instantaneous in regards to communicating with the folks back home. This is a good thing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.