More from the batshit crazy brigade Christian Fundamentalists: codifying bigotry under the guise of religious...

More from the batshit crazy brigade Christian Fundamentalists: codifying bigotry under the guise of religious freedom. Again. Here they try to violate the equal protections clause of the Fourteenth Amendment by twisting the First into an unrecognizable shape.

Thomas Jefferson told us, “The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.” If religion mandates picking pockets, breaking legs, or discriminating against other citizens, it comes under the purview of our secular law. No belief, no matter how fervent, and no law, no matter how slyly named, should change that. There is no religious right to infringe the rights of others.
https://religionnews.com/2018/04/23/redefining-religious-freedom-as-religious-privilege/?mc_cid=5f388be60a&mc_eid=22979bf1c7

Comments

Salvador Melo said…
My only complaint about this is the repeated reference to the California Cake Catastrophe.

The California judge rightly ruled that the particular Baker was not being discriminatory. They did not refuse a service to one customer which was available to others; they just refused to add a service they did not perform for anyone, and even provided reference to other bakers who do perform that service.

Unless there is some other cake issue to which they are referring.
Jason ON said…
I believe the "cake" case invoked was the one that happened here in Colorado wherein the proprietor refused to make a cake for a gay wedding.
denverpost.com - As Colorado baker case opens at U.S. Supreme Court, Justice Kennedy poses sharp questions for both sides
Salvador Melo said…
Jason ON my bad. I read "California" where the article clearly has "Colorado" written. And yes, that case was completely different.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.