Allo never really caught on with my friends.

Allo never really caught on with my friends. In fact, nothing but Facebook Messenger and iMessages ever caught on with my friends. As far as Google services go, I'm one of the few people I know who use them in lieu of Facebook or Apple's offerings, so it's no surprise to me that Google couldn't find an audience for it's fifteenth or nineteenth "messaging" service. I mean, who's really keeping count anymore?

I do use Messenger though, but only with my non-Android friends. With my Android friends I use Hangouts and they always bitch and moan that I'm the only one using that service with them.
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/04/google-gives-up-on-google-allo-hopes-carriers-will-sort-out-rcs-messaging/

Comments

I have a few friends who use it. One of them works for Google. I've used Hangouts in the past. I can still send text messages through it since I have a Google Voice number, But lately I've been texting directly through Google Voice (to those folks who only have that number from me). Haven't had any messages through Allo in a while, other than the regular posts I have the assistant in it produce.
Gregg Wonderly said…
What is the point? Google is the worst at trying to reinvent existing stuff. IMessage is just the complete answer. It works everywhere and I just don’t even think of it as magical any more. It’s technology applied to solve a problem that should just not exist...

Allo was completely neglected... like many Google projects with no apparent income or ROI, it has died and now everyone is wondering what’s next. It sounds like nothing timely or really useful will be done. I’ll stick with my Apple devices since they are still solving all the problems I need solved!
iMessage has its problems, my new colleague has a new number and has been getting stupid sms:s that are intended to do to the old owner of the number because apple cannot sort out the problems with iMessage.
Can you use iMessage on Android? No way am I getting another new phone just for one app.
Gregg Wonderly said…
Patrik Söderström the texts are to that new number! Plain and simple that’s just the way it works, not Apple’s problem. This is what happens with number reuse. How would Apple know who knows his number? You can configure blocking on the phone to disallow messages and calls from specific numbers to stop that.
Interesting perspective, thinking +Google is on the right path by getting everyone else besides iOS folks (a ~20% global minority?) onto RCS messaging.

The problem will eventually sort out when x.xx% of the globe does NOT have 3G or better (or equivalent) service, and it defaults to SMS.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.