There has been much discussion on the new film, The Last Jedi, the most recent entry into #StarWars canon.

There has been much discussion on the new film, The Last Jedi, the most recent entry into #StarWars canon. Much of it has been debating whether the film was good or bad, whether it followed the proper "StarWars" narrative, whether it was true to the source material - and so forth.

Personally, I liked it as a film, not so much as a legacy to Luke Skywalker and everything we've learned of the Jedi over the previous films. (I should note: I read most all of the books in the EU that have been relegated by Disney as "legends" and not canon, so I know a bit more about the Jedi and the Force than the average movie watching bear)

It's my belief that Disney could have told their story better. They wanted to "reset" the galaxy far far away, divesting themselves of the Lucas/Skywalker storyline and the only way to do that was to kill of the original heroes. I get that. But they failed to really bring the essence of the Force and explain the philosophy of the Jedi in a way that would have stayed within character rather than having Luke turned into a raving madman.

There's nothing wrong with being a reclusive monk and nothing wrong with believing your religion must end. There was the problem with execution. He could have simply told Rey, "The Force was never truly in balance. It swings back and forth as those with both good and ill in their intents use it. The Jedi fought for millennia to control the Light side, but in the end their hubris doomed them. I thought I could do it better, set the Jedi on the right path where we were once again harbingers of hope and light in the galaxy. I was wrong. Like the Jedi before me I failed. So yes, the Jedi must end. Something new must takes its place. Something without the baggage of the Jedi. Maybe that something can start with you. Maybe not. But if I were to teach you, I would pass along my own failings.

Done. The conversation would have gone on; she would have tried to convince him to change his mind, but we would have known what was in Luke's mind a little more clearly than was portrayed in the film.

I also would have liked to see Luke go out a little more in line as a true Jedi master: he speaks with Leia one last time. Apologizes for his own failings, for abandoning the galaxy and then steps towards the giant blast door. The remnants of the Resistance whisper as he passed, "Who is that? Where did he come from?" Someone says, "I think that's Luke Skywalker." Someone else says, "No, Luke Skywalker is a myth." Luke approaches Dameron Poe, "Open the door." Poe says, "It's dangerous. There's nothing you can do. You don't even have any weapons. It's suicide!" Luke looks at him, "The Force is my ally," his only reply. The door opens, he steps into the light ...

But that's me.

Regardless of what you wanted out the of the Disney owned Star Wars franchise, you've undoubtedly been disappointed at one point or another. But fret not, people - fans - are always disappointed when they don't like what's happening. This happens with StarWars, but with superhero movies, Harry Potter, everything with a fandom. It's the crutch we all must lean on when living in another's world.
https://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-how-fans-reacted-to-the-empire-strikes-back-in-19-1821551259

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.