The world is an ecosystem, built through millions of years of trial and error, of balancing one force of nature...

The world is an ecosystem, built through millions of years of trial and error, of balancing one force of nature against another. In Yellowstone, this wonderful experiment has proven just how detrimental each and every species on this planet is to the world around it.

I'm reminded of a conversation I had on Facebook about prairie dogs in Colorado. A friend of mine is very involved in the local ranching community and his friends were all decrying prairie dogs and how they weren't good for horses. When I explained that horses were the invasive species here and that prairie dogs are a valuable part of the local ecology I was shouted down with such vitriol that I had to wonder if those people were capable of understanding the larger picture. 
http://sfglobe.com/?id=14064&src=share_fb_new_14064

Comments

Chris Moore said…
That was my best-spent 4.33 of the day.
Kevin Williams said…
Awesome video! I remember all the fear-mongers claiming the wolves would massacre people and animals and unicorns and ruin everything ... and they were wrong.
Jason ON said…
Well, there aren't any unicorns at Yellowstone ...
Sam Moore said…
So you're sayin' hunters don't really have those good population controls they claim? Or better put, wolves do it far better?
Jason ON said…
Yep. I'm sure hunters help, but they're not wolves.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.