Interesting.

Interesting. I guess on some level I knew this about myself, but I never made a connection between understanding others, seeing the world through a faceted lens and being open to new experiences as something I got from reading fiction. I know plenty of people who read fiction and are close-minded or bigoted.

Originally shared by Christa Laser

This is great news! I always thought that reading helps you to understand others because you get to carefully ponder social activity in a unique way that you do not have the time to do in ordinary interaction. Plus, it exposes you to social situations that are outside of your norms.

The article notes that fiction: (1) helps you to understand others, (2) helps you to see the world from multiple points of view, and (3) makes you more open to new experiences.

I wonder whether movies, music, TV, and other forms of media do the same. My guess is yes. I remember as a child studying the body language and facial expressions of media figures, not just for mimicry, but as a way of understanding the social world.
http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=in-the-minds-of-others

Comments

Colin Fosgate said…
I have a hard time reading fiction, and very rarely do. . .

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...