I have never a strong supporter of unions believing for the most part that they're corrupt and have outlived their...

I have never a strong supporter of unions believing for the most part that they're corrupt and have outlived their purpose. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-union in any way, shape or form, I just believe most unions are more interested in protecting the union rather than the worker.

But as crusaders of the middle-class?

Originally shared by Nicholas Kristof

In which I make a rare confession for a columnist:  I was wrong about something truly important....
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/19/opinion/nicholas-kristof-the-cost-of-a-decline-in-unions.html?&hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=c-column-top-span-region®ion=c-column-top-span-region&WT.nav=c-column-top-span-region

Comments

S rodden said…
Amazing and yet people like you support politicians that favor unions and that's just one example there's plenty.
Jason ON said…
Did you even read the article, S rodden​?
Lawrence Duffy said…
An interesting article.  The important thing about unions is not the too often self serving and comfortable leaders but the opportunity it gives workers to get together and act in solidarity against some very powerful employers and institutions.
Nolan L said…
Well this isn't the time of Hoffa and the Mob. There is still corruption in the union but how much corruption is in the corporate world? Government? Media?
Union numbers have been stagnant since the 1970s. The manufacturing base has left town and the transportation industry has seen a massive rise in small companies that barely stay afloat much less pay Union wages and benefits.
Meanwhile we have been conditioned to think that unions only support the fat cats on the top. (Apple does this and nobody bats an eye) While the top Union officials make a good chunk I'll bet that my wages are close to 50% more than ANY other driver in the industry when factored in with medical and retirement.
A union shop helps set standards for employee promotion, management standards on how to treat and pay employees and basic work rules... Which amazingly resemble employee handbooks that companies give employees. But aren't contracts.
Why wouldn't you want a contract? The higher ups that run companies have them. Why can't you/I? Collective bargaining levels the playing field.
I'm not a fan of the employees that get a free ride, are fuck ups, or are lazy. It's the nature of the beast. Sooner or later they get shit canned.
Nolan L said…
A bit rambling. Whatever.

Popular posts from this blog

So, I asked Andrew Tamm, who filled my Stream with a hundred (sarcasm there) animated gifs and cat pictures to...

I'm shutting down Google+ for the night and quite possibly for the weekend.